• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wireless Cameras

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless Cameras

I'm looking to upgrade the security in Pondlife towers as I'm on the road quite a bit and SWMBO keeps forgetting to set the alarm.

What I'm looking for is a couple of cameras that will connect to home PC via wireless. Preferably with software that will record etc.

Any recommendations?

TIA

PL

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    I'm looking to upgrade the security in Pondlife towers as I'm on the road quite a bit and SWMBO keeps forgetting to set the alarm.

What I'm looking for is a couple of cameras that will connect to home PC via wireless. Preferably with software that will record etc.

Any recommendations?

TIA

PL
    I suppose it'd be a good idea to surf the net for security shops. They know what's what. You have to think about weather-proofing, etc, I imagine. Top Tip: Get something that produces good, colour images. Also, in for a penny, etc.: get something that alerts your mobile/whatever if a break-in occurs. And, make sure that the recordings are duplicated somewhere other than your home. If the PC is nicked, so's the recording!

Comment

I did some work for Sony a few years back testing thier security camera software and used some RZ-30's which were stunning camera's. They have updated them a bit now and they aparently take wireless NIC's in them as well so well worth a butchers. They also have switch inputs so that you can put switches on a door and it will send a signal to the camera when the door is opened (you could set the camera up to automatically point itself at the door the second it was opened and record who is coming through with thier software package)

You should also be able to get thier security camera software for free (was called Realshot Manager when i was testing it, dunno what they are calling it now) unless they have changed the way they distribute it. When i was there they also had some very funky face recognition software that worked with these cameras, they may have bundled it into thier software suite by now.

http://www.sony.com.my/biz/brochure/IPM/SNC-RZ30P.pdf

Have a look at the above for the spec, the only downside is that they are not the cheapest of camera's, but very very good. You need to see one in action to fully appreciate it.

Comment

There was the case in the news a few months back of the guys who was on holiday, got a txt to say he was being burgled and then managed to track them on his laptop from abroad....

he recorded the images and alerted the cops...who undoubtedly turned up 3 days later and fined him for calling them out on a non revenue case!!!!!
        "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

My personal experience is that PC setups are not as effective as they could be. Someone or something is bound to reboot it or shut it down at some point, and the software will forget to recover. Bear in mind you may have to talk SWMBO through using it.

Go for an all-in-one DVR box with ethernet connectivity. Stick it somewhere away from your pc e.g. loft if it's dry enough. Less hassle.

Good tips on the cameras though - thanks.

Comment

The RZ-30 I linked to above has an analogue port so that you can connect the camera to a normal video recorder as well as using the network and it also has a built in web server and the ability to send images to a remote server without the need for a computer on the local network.

Best of both worlds

Comment

Thanks all. Useful pointers to start with.

Comment

http://forums.contractoruk.com/techn...ghlight=camera

Comment

Working...
                X