• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

'Internet' network drive

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by daviejones View Post
    Why not just buy a NAS box and allow access to it from anywhere???
    You have to be careful with dynamic IPs but this works well.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
      You have to be careful with dynamic IPs but this works well.
      Apart from the dynamic IP issue, this would seem the best option to me.....

I would go for the Apple TimeCapsule, as this is also a wifi base station and will be silent, fast and for £399 for 1TB...hard to rule out!!!
      "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Originally posted by daviejones View Post
        Why not just buy a NAS box and allow access to it from anywhere???
        Not a good backup solution if your house burns down.

The other issue for file sharing is that most of us are on much slower uplinks than down. A NAS on your home ADSL is going to limit the speed to ~256Kish, which is pretty poor.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          Not a good backup solution if your house burns down.

The other issue for file sharing is that most of us are on much slower uplinks than down. A NAS on your home ADSL is going to limit the speed to ~256Kish, which is pretty poor.
          If your house burns down, then data is likely to be the least of your worries...
          "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Working...
          X