• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

'Internet' network drive

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Internet' network drive

Have been recently looking for some online file space to store stuff I can access from home, client, anywhere I need etc without having to use a memory stick. Was recommended BT Vault which is OK (and free) but the interface drives me up the wall.

What I really would like is a service where I can map my online space as a network drive and then just use it as I would any other disk space. Can anyone recommend any sites? I don't mind paying a small subscription if it's a good service but I don't need tons of space (>1Gb) so don't want to be shelling out too much.

Alternatively, would it be possible to use my home PC as the file server and then I map a network drive wherever I am to it? Would this be the same as setting up a home web server? I once did this before but didn't have much use for it..!

Thanks.
    It's about time I changed this sig...

I use GMailFS, but if you can't access internet email, that's not much use for you.

AOL do something (Xdrive, I think) that is free. I signed up for it, but haven't really used it.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

You don't state what operating system you're using, whether your day-to-day machine is your own laptop, and details of any network controls you're subject to whilst on site.

On the assumption that you're using Windows, you're not spoilt for choice in this department. Ideally you should be looking at a proper VPN solution that makes your laptop appear as if it's on your home network.

In the absence of this, your options are limited and anything less than a VPN is a compromise in terms of security and reliability, especially if you're looking at working directly with the remote files (e.g. loading and editing within Word) as opposed to simply transferring them up and down.

Try the following if you're interested in a half-baked solution:

http://www.engadget.com/2005/10/25/h...ur-ftp-server/

http://www.pluralsight.com/blogs/cra...2/30/4633.aspx

Comment

If you have some kind of server, then even something like Oracle Collaboration Suite could do the trick - it's cheap to licence, and then it stores your files etc. in an Oracle database, which is easy to backup.

Has a web front end to it, which you can use - and you could have multiple users, project repositories, etc. etc.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

www.idrive.com
          2GB free space and you get a mapped drive type thingy

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            AOL do something (Xdrive, I think) that is free. I signed up for it, but haven't really used it.
            As Faqqer, says http://www.xdrive.com/ is an option.

I used to use them years ago.

Since then, looks like they have been bought by AOL and the service is now free (used to be monthly subscription) and you get 5Gb.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Xdrive looks fairly decent so will give that a go. Thought about all the security issues etc regarding home networks and think it's probably too much hassle right now so will give it a miss
              It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

I FTP stuff to my website - not secure, but for a few scripts etc. it works fine. I need to look into making it secure, but haven't got the time at the moment.

Maybe when this gig ends in 12 days...
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
                  Thanks everyone. Xdrive looks fairly decent so will give that a go. Thought about all the security issues etc regarding home networks and think it's probably too much hassle right now so will give it a miss
                  Before you do, do a google for reviews, I may be wrong but I seem to remeber reading a lot of complaints about them when I was looking.

Comment

123reg are doing a freebie one too - http://drive.123reg.co.uk

no idea if it's any good or not - I've just signed up for it though!
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
                    X