• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Change IE6 Language

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change IE6 Language

Currently running some tests using RFT which requires IE6 as the browser but we have hit a small problem. The WinXP system where everything is running is a German language with a German IE6 (IE6 is installed with SP1 when you install XP SP2 and there is no way you can install a different language XP SP.)

We tried IE7 but the problem is the way that IE7 displays the request for a certificate. IE6 produces a pop-up whereas IE7 is as a webpage and with a German language IE6, the pop-up is in German. The RFT scripts are all geared to US English and so we need to change the browser to be in US English. So far I've tried:

- regional settings changes. The system is currently running as US English with a German keyboard. This makes no difference

- uninstalling IE6 and attempting to re-install with US English version. WinXP doesn't seem to like this. You can uninstall but when you go to install the downloaded IE6 with SP1, WinXP always tells you that a newer version is already installed (I thought I had just uninstalled.) Even going through the various Microsoft KB articles to eliminate this doesn't work, and even deleting a number of registry entries relating to IE6 still doesn't work

Currently at a loss for ideas so if someone has had to do something like this, and tips would be much appreciated.
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

AFAIK IE installs with a default language setting dependent on the lanuage version of XP. Changing the keyboard settings makes no difference since this simply allows you to produce documents in another language with all the relevant grammar markes (e.g. grave or acute accents, etc).

My guess is you need a PC with an English version of XP running.

Comment

Have you tried IE's own language settings?

Tools menu -> Internet Options... -> General tab -> Languages button at bottom

It allows you to specify your preferred language for viewing web pages, so presumably it controls the Accept-Language HTTP header; not sure if it will help your specific case, but it's worth a try.

Comment

If you have the MUI version of XP and not the fully localised version you might be able to switch the whole UI to English without re-installing XP (maybe it will even work with the localised version).

Check this:
        http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/r.../changeui.mspx
        http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/D....mspx#MUIques1

Not sure if it changes the language used in IE, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          Have you tried IE's own language settings?

Tools menu -> Internet Options... -> General tab -> Languages button at bottom

It allows you to specify your preferred language for viewing web pages, so presumably it controls the Accept-Language HTTP header; not sure if it will help your specific case, but it's worth a try.
          Yep, first thing I tried. Doesn't make a difference to actual IE, just sets certain settings to English.

The MUI looks good but you have to buy it as part of Volume Licensing. Looks like I'll dig up another system from somewhere, possibly. Cheers.
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I had to do much the same with German/Italian/French versions of software a while back.

The only accurate way was to install the correct language versions of everything. Get yourself some drive imaging software so you can easily load a clean version when you need it.

Comment

Working...
            X