• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

wireless modem routers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
    Is it slow if you only use IP addresses to browse?

(Just ping the site in a command prompt to get the IP and they try browsing using them).

If the speed is fine using IP addresses to browse, but slow when using domain names it is 100% a DNS problem.

Also if you checked you /etc/resolv.conf bear in mind that if you are still getting your DNS servers through DHCP it may have overwritten any changes you have made.
    Actually, haven't tried that. Will do tomorrow morning... thanks.

Comment

Are these MIMO routers worth it at all? I'm looking at getting one and my router will be on the first floor in the north corner of my house, while I'll be mainly working in the conservatory on the south side. A distance of more than 40'.

Any recommendations.
      McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by richard-af View Post
        Actually, haven't tried that. Will do tomorrow morning... thanks.
        If you google around a bit on DNS servers, there's a list somewhere (will google later) of ISPs that allow non-users access to their DNS. You can check if it's your ISP or not that's causing the problem.

Comment

Just to bring closure to this thread, I went for a Solwise in the end. Appears to work pretty well, wireless has a good range, and it has VPN passthru. My old Buffalo didn't have good wireless coverage, and it didn't have VPN passthru, so I couldn't dial-in to work.

Thanks for the advice peeps.

Comment

I too also bought the solwise. it seems to have excellent reviews. Got it off Amazon.

Cheers.
            McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

I've used a wired Netgear router (DG 834) for years, can set up VPN, NAT, works a treat and never had any issues. Not quite what you asked for, it being not wireless, but I don't quite get the opposition to Netgear that seems to pervade this board.

Comment

I use a Linksys (WAG54GS) - no problems here - Wifi to 2 laptops (both XP) and a PS2 (via a WAP54G), and cables to 3 PCs (2 XP & 1 Linux) and a Slug (NSLU2).

IPsec no problem from wifi or wired connection(s).

Comment

They seem to get a lot of stick but I use a DLink DSL604T (I had a 604G before that but had to replace it when we got zapped by lightening a few years back).

The old 604G did used to drop the Wifi connection approx 20 mins after booting the router from cold, it was then necessary to reboot it again but after that would be fine - so I guess a heat / RF drift issue.

However, the 604T seems fine and copes with multiple WiFi / ethernet / OS connections with no probs.
                  Do what thou wilt

Comment

Working...
                  X