• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "wireless modem routers"

Collapse

• Dark Black
    replied
    They seem to get a lot of stick but I use a DLink DSL604T (I had a 604G before that but had to replace it when we got zapped by lightening a few years back).

The old 604G did used to drop the Wifi connection approx 20 mins after booting the router from cold, it was then necessary to reboot it again but after that would be fine - so I guess a heat / RF drift issue.

However, the 604T seems fine and copes with multiple WiFi / ethernet / OS connections with no probs.

Leave a comment:

• FarmerPalmer
    replied
    I use a Linksys (WAG54GS) - no problems here - Wifi to 2 laptops (both XP) and a PS2 (via a WAP54G), and cables to 3 PCs (2 XP & 1 Linux) and a Slug (NSLU2).

IPsec no problem from wifi or wired connection(s).

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I've used a wired Netgear router (DG 834) for years, can set up VPN, NAT, works a treat and never had any issues. Not quite what you asked for, it being not wireless, but I don't quite get the opposition to Netgear that seems to pervade this board.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    I too also bought the solwise. it seems to have excellent reviews. Got it off Amazon.

Cheers.

Leave a comment:

• Moose423956
    replied
    Just to bring closure to this thread, I went for a Solwise in the end. Appears to work pretty well, wireless has a good range, and it has VPN passthru. My old Buffalo didn't have good wireless coverage, and it didn't have VPN passthru, so I couldn't dial-in to work.

Thanks for the advice peeps.

Leave a comment:

• Zorba
    replied
    Originally posted by richard-af View Post
    Actually, haven't tried that. Will do tomorrow morning... thanks.
    If you google around a bit on DNS servers, there's a list somewhere (will google later) of ISPs that allow non-users access to their DNS. You can check if it's your ISP or not that's causing the problem.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Are these MIMO routers worth it at all? I'm looking at getting one and my router will be on the first floor in the north corner of my house, while I'll be mainly working in the conservatory on the south side. A distance of more than 40'.

Any recommendations.

Leave a comment:

• richard-af
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
    Is it slow if you only use IP addresses to browse?

(Just ping the site in a command prompt to get the IP and they try browsing using them).

If the speed is fine using IP addresses to browse, but slow when using domain names it is 100% a DNS problem.

Also if you checked you /etc/resolv.conf bear in mind that if you are still getting your DNS servers through DHCP it may have overwritten any changes you have made.
    Actually, haven't tried that. Will do tomorrow morning... thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Is it slow if you only use IP addresses to browse?

(Just ping the site in a command prompt to get the IP and they try browsing using them).

If the speed is fine using IP addresses to browse, but slow when using domain names it is 100% a DNS problem.

Also if you checked you /etc/resolv.conf bear in mind that if you are still getting your DNS servers through DHCP it may have overwritten any changes you have made.

Leave a comment:

• richard-af
    replied
    Sadly, still having annoying slow-to-lookup problems. I have followed above advice. It doesn't disconnect - just takes an age to actually find a site. Once connected, download speed is same as with W2K. Stumped.

Leave a comment:

• Flubster
    replied
    Some of you hardware boffs may scoff at this, but I've had my Orange (Wanadoo) Livebox for 3 years now and find it does everything I need. 2 wired connections, upto 6 wireless connections, bluetooth and USB (so I can network my printer).

I used to use the Livetalk option (VoIP) but found it to be quite poor quality compared to Skype.

Also works when I VPN into client sites...

Yes, I have Orange as my ISP, but never had a problem...but then I've never had to contact their Tech Support...

Leave a comment:

• fzbucks
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    Right after I posted my bit about my router it has started dropping its connection every 20 mins or so - really annoying
    It must have known you were talking about it

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Right after I posted my bit about my router it has started dropping its connection every 20 mins or so - really annoying

Leave a comment:

• richard-af
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco
    I had this happen with a netgear router on Ubuntu.

The cause was the DNS server supplied by the router, It was setting primary DNS to localhost 127.0.0.1 and the secondary DNS correctly. Of course this meant that every time i tried to browse to something it would wait for primary DNS to time out and then use secondary DNS and burst into life.

Check your /etc/resolv.conf and see what the DNS entries are.
    It's times like this that make my mindless wandering through this site worthwhile. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Mine is a netgear and has been as stable as anything since I updated the firmware. Prior to that it woulod drop it's connection at very regular intervals. Since the update it has worked well with only the odd reboot when it hangs. Not tried doing a VPN back to my home PC but it's worked fine with everything I asked of it regarding outward connections. Netgear support is rubbish though.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X