• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Numpty USB question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Numpty USB question

Ok, so the motherboard says it has Hi Speed USB 2 ports but whenever I plug something in it says that it's only USB 1.0 and the device could perform faster.

The Bios is set to allow USB 2.0 so whats missing?

It it likely to be jumper on the MB (nowt in manual about it) or is it a driver issue? If the latter, do I need MB specific or is the a generic XP one I need?

TIA

PL

The device you are plugging in is a USB 1.1 device?

Is it a webcam?

A lot of these say "USB 2.0 compatible" and are actually 1.1 devices. The "USB 2.0 compatible" is a bit of meaningless marketing speak.

Comment

Nope all USB 2 devices. (New iPod and 500Gb HD)

Comment

What version of OS are you running?
        I'm presuming it is the O/S of (no) choice XP.

If so, and you are still on SP1, you may need an MS patch that was released a few years ago. I think it's this one but not 100% sure - maybe search MS/Google further.

Other suggestions:

Update mb BIOS.
        Update USB controller drivers in OS

Comment

Working...
        X