• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sorting data by frequency in C#

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ASB
    Yes, it is bog standard. But does it work? yes.

Now it may be that it doesn't work well enough, but I guess you'll never find out since it's rejected simply on the grounds of not being clever.
    Please read the spec:

Just asking opinions on the most efficient and elegant way to achieve the following.

HTH

Comment

Doesn't anyone study algorithms anymore? A couple I can think of off the top of my head are Boyer-Moore (or a variation thereof) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boyer-Moore - and KMP - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knuth%E...ratt_algorithm

That should give you a head start.
      Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
        Please read the spec:

Just asking opinions on the most efficient and elegant way to achieve the following.

HTH

Yes, I did read that bit. And I conformed with it. The person who is not conforming is you.

What you are in effect saying at the moment is that a "standard" way of dealing with it is neither the most efficient not the most elegant.

You may turn out to be right - but you do not yet know that, and since you will not try a standard method you will never know how efficient it was (or wasn't).

Comment

written before the request that it should be written in binary and injected straight into the processor!

Code:
           Hashtable wordMap = new Hashtable();

string[] words= <your array of words here>;

foreach (string currentWord in words)
                      {
          	            if (currentWord.Length > 0)
          	            {
          		            if (wordMap.ContainsKey(currentWord))
          		            {
          			            wordMap[currentWord] = (int)wordMap[currentWord]+ 1;
          		            }
                              else
                              {
                                  wordMap.Add(currentWord, 1);
                              }
                          }
                      }

string[] wordNames = (string[])new ArrayList(wordMap.Keys).ToArray(typeof(string));
                      int[] wordFrequencies = (int[])new
                      ArrayList(wordMap.Values).ToArray(typeof(int));
                      Array.Sort(wordFrequencies, wordNames);
                      for (int currentWord = 0; currentWord < wordNames.Length; currentWord++)
          	        {
                          Console.WriteLine((wordNames[currentWord])+("\t")+(wordFrequencies[currentWord].ToString()));
                      }

Comment

Obviously the most efficient way would be to use a binary tree and counter mechanism for the elements.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill
              Obviously the most efficient way would be to use a binary tree and counter mechanism for the elements.
              Not necessarily. It will depend on the actual words and how they map to whatever positioning algorithm is chosen.

For the terminally bored there is some discussion here:-

http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jsp...sageID=4319661

Comment

Go through the list once to work out the minimum and maximum length. Then if for example the minimum is 3 and the maximum is 5, you do a search for "aaa", "aaaa", and "aaaaa", then move onto "aaaab", until you've exhausted every possible word.

HTH.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Dunno. I'd just use an efficient sort like shell mezner and count number in same blocks. Perhaps instead of sorting on entire string you could sort on just 1st x chars which would give you many unique items that did not need to be further sorted and could be discarded. Those that did sort on next 3 chars and so on.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I was thinking more along the lines of sorting them by char length and then searching on first character and iterating down each char of the string.

Any word of x number of chars that occurs once can be discarded and then you can start filtering the words that have all the same number of chars.

Comment

Working...
                    X