• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MS Office 2007

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS Office 2007

We've started our first upgrade roll out of Office Pro 2007.

WTF is that all about?? WTF has Microsoft pissed about with a perfectly good 2003 version to make it almost unusable. The first-line guys are getting more and more calls from users who are frankly completely confused in doing the simplest tasks in Word or Excel.

I must admit, even I sruggled when I first started with it.

Did you not do a pilot roll-out first to gather a list of 'common-issues' users are experiencing?

TBH, most of the changes to Vista/Office 2007 are cosmetic so it's just a case of reminding yourself where the settings/features now reside.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyajae
      WTF is that all about?? WTF has Microsoft pissed about with a perfectly good 2003 version to make it almost unusable.
      Its all about using the monopoly to keep the shareholders happy. No reason to push out a new version beyond simply generating revenue.
      Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

To be honest, a pilot was suggested but the knobs in management didn't feel it necessary and just ordered the go ahead. Unfortunately, the Head of IT doesn't really speak up for himself or the dept. Pretty weak and spineless really.

Causing me no end of chuckles, though

Comment

Yeah, they really have moved the menus and changed the interface...I liked it but it was bloody slow and pretty unreliable....

Comment

Originally posted by Kyajae
            We've started our first upgrade roll out of Office Pro 2007.

WTF is that all about?? WTF has Microsoft pissed about with a perfectly good 2003 version to make it almost unusable. The first-line guys are getting more and more calls from users who are frankly completely confused in doing the simplest tasks in Word or Excel.

I must admit, even I sruggled when I first started with it.
            I'd keep using Office 1997 myself, I know it and it works for me. Except of course for security holes that they don't intend to fix, in contradiction to the mantra that I have often heard Bill Gates drag out on TV: "nobody makes you upgrade, your old software will still work, it's all the great new features that make you positively want to buy the new stuff."

I'm currently trialling an upgrade to Open Office.
            God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Originally posted by Euro-commuter
              I'm currently trialling an upgrade to Open Office.
              Lovely bit of software, but it just can't handle MS office format files correctly all the time. If you are using it in a closed environment and the documents don't need to go outside of this environment it's great. If you need to swap documents with other businesses (who will undoubtably be using MS Office) it's not worth the hassle of and extra 5-10 mins on each document making it work properly with MS Office.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
                Lovely bit of software, but it just can't handle MS office format files correctly all the time. If you are using it in a closed environment and the documents don't need to go outside of this environment it's great. If you need to swap documents with other businesses (who will undoubtably be using MS Office) it's not worth the hassle of and extra 5-10 mins on each document making it work properly with MS Office.
                But if you swap documents with others using Office 97, they can lift files from your PC.

A cynic might say that MS left OFfice 97 dangerous, and alternative software shut out, so that we would have to buy more later versions of Office that we don't really need. I couldn't possibly comment.
                God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
                  Lovely bit of software, but it just can't handle MS office format files correctly all the time.
                  I thought I was the only one around here willing to admit this.

Comment

I had a time limited version on my new computer. Horrible. Deleted it and installed my old office 2000. Fair enough to learn new tools etc. but not totally different interface just for the sake of it.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X