• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Time to take the plunge....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to take the plunge....

Well I've thought about it and with this MS fiasco I'm going to make the plunge.

Mandrake Linux Discovery 9.2 (39 euros) here I come.

*pumps up rubber ring, prays that drivers don't spring a leak and heads in the direction of the penguins...*

re

I had mandy; I got rid of it because I needed space for multimedia and windows is best at that. Everything apart from the sound card set up was easy - it even recognised my network card which windows 2000 couldn't. Why don't you download it for free? Oh, and bear in mind Mandrake is half french so it may be a tad stubborn at times..

Comment

Re: re

I suspect you will want to get the towel pretty quickly.

Buy a Mac and get both. Get a fast one and you can have emulated MS as well.

Comment

I'm looking for areasonably priced alternative to M$, OH.

Thanks for the advice tho'.

Comment

The point is, that over the life of a machine, the Mac is a viable alternative. Macs don't cost as much as they used to and are comparable in price to many leading PC brands.

Comment

"The point is, that over the life of a machine, the Mac is a viable alternative."

I have to agree with that.

Comment

macs

I understand tjhey have now sorted the hardware problems.

Given the current $£ exchange rate it must be tempting to pop across and buy one. Mrs S has a conference in the US later this year and I am tempted.

Comment

Re: macs

Let us know how you/she gets on...

Comment

I think original version of Mandrake 9 was destroying (physically!) certain CD-RW drives - dont jump into that hole Alice, you might be falling far deeper than you think

Comment

I don't have a CD-RW on my laptop, so that's ok.

I just hope I can still watch my DVDs.

Comment

Working...
                    X