• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Time to take the plunge...."

Collapse

Guest replied
    Re: cdrw XXXX

Jacko,

Looking forward to your fully functional rock steady Linux setup.

Speak to you in 6 months time when it's all sorted.

DP.

:lol

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    cdrw XXXX

That was because the drive manfr didnt implement the ide standard properly. They had used a standard command to indicate a firmware upgrade, so when mandrake tested the drive capability the drive zapped its own firmware. - Only affects a single brand - cant remember which, but it will be on the mandrake site.

Jacko - FS seem to have pulled the linux drivers from their site - I thin kbecause the newer machines use centrino and intel have not yet released the drivers, so the old machines would have looked to have more functionality than the new ones.

You shouldnt have any probs though.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I don't have a CD-RW on my laptop, so that's ok.

I just hope I can still watch my DVDs.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I think original version of Mandrake 9 was destroying (physically!) certain CD-RW drives - dont jump into that hole Alice, you might be falling far deeper than you think

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: macs

Let us know how you/she gets on...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    macs

I understand tjhey have now sorted the hardware problems.

Given the current $£ exchange rate it must be tempting to pop across and buy one. Mrs S has a conference in the US later this year and I am tempted.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: re

"The point is, that over the life of a machine, the Mac is a viable alternative."

I have to agree with that.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

The point is, that over the life of a machine, the Mac is a viable alternative. Macs don't cost as much as they used to and are comparable in price to many leading PC brands.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I'm looking for areasonably priced alternative to M$, OH.

Thanks for the advice tho'.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I suspect you will want to get the towel pretty quickly.

Buy a Mac and get both. Get a fast one and you can have emulated MS as well.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    re

I had mandy; I got rid of it because I needed space for multimedia and windows is best at that. Everything apart from the sound card set up was easy - it even recognised my network card which windows 2000 couldn't. Why don't you download it for free? Oh, and bear in mind Mandrake is half french so it may be a tad stubborn at times..

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Time to take the plunge....

Time to take the plunge....

Well I've thought about it and with this MS fiasco I'm going to make the plunge.

Mandrake Linux Discovery 9.2 (39 euros) here I come.

*pumps up rubber ring, prays that drivers don't spring a leak and heads in the direction of the penguins...*

Working...
X