• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Simple?? VB.net question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple?? VB.net question

Got a useful answer last time, so worth a try.

I just want to stick all the common functions called from different forms in one place rather than duplicate code, and for some I need to pass forms by reference to those functions. But if I have something like:-

Public Sub EnableDoubleBuffering(ByRef frm As System.Windows.Forms.Form)

in a public module or class, any reference to frm gives 'not accessible in this context because it is protected'.

The solutions I have looked at on the net all seem to to be along the lines of declaring a new instance of, or inheriting from, a specific form class, however:-

a) frm does not necessarily always refer to the same form class
    b) frm could refer to different instances of the same form class

I can think of a rather messy solution to a) but not sure how to handle b). Ta for any answers.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

not sure why you are passing the Form in by ref. It should work without the ref since the Form is a Reference Type
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...s2(VS.80).aspx

i tried this quickly (in c# winforms), and it works

Comment

Bored so:-

as buffdaddy says you should probably be passing it by value unless you are tring to return a different form than the one passed in - which migh be unhelpful

Anyway this is fine:-

Module Module1
      Public Sub EnableDoubleBuffering(ByRef frm As System.Windows.Forms.Form)
      frm.Text = "QQQQ"
      End Sub

End Module

Public Class Form1

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
      Module1.EnableDoubleBuffering(Me)
      Dim a As New Form2

'Has to be a type of Form because it will foul up due to narrowing if not.
      Dim b As Form
      b = a
      a.AA(b)

End Sub
      End Class

Public Class Form2

Private Sub Form2_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

End Sub

Friend Sub AA(ByRef frm As System.Windows.Forms.Form)
      Module1.EnableDoubleBuffering(Me)
      Module1.EnableDoubleBuffering(frm)
      End Sub
      End Class

Whether it is sensible or any help is a different matter of course.

Comment

That works although same problem with my original code. I was thinking that the inaccessibility error was a general problem in not being able to access the form, in fact it was just a specific function of that form that is protected. Don't need to use it anyway (it was just an example I copied off an MS page) so problem sorted. Ta chaps!
        Last edited by xoggoth; 29 May 2007, 08:37.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
        X