• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

!q

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

!q

I have 10 Doc CVs , each is a variation of my master cv .

How can I do so that a change in the master will propagate the change among all the other CVs?

In other words , I want certain parts of my CVs to be automatically updated from a single change. ( in a Db , or master CV , or linked data source , etc )

AND HURRAAYY 200 POSTS
    Last edited by 2uk; 16 May 2007, 15:09.

Pah, 200 - amateur!

No idea, what the answer is, just wanted to increase my post count - next stop is 20,000

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
      Pah, 200 - amateur!

No idea, what the answer is, just wanted to increase my post count - next stop is 20,000

Yeah, 200 posts result of 1.5 months on the bench. I am becoming suicidal.

Need to do some serious thinking.

Comment

Do some free work for open source project of some kind.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
          Do some free work for open source project of some kind.
          Unfortunatelly I have only MS in my head.

Comment

MS as in Microsoft? Help with development of Mono - most of work is done in C# now. This is pretty relevant since you will learn lots of stuff that otherwise you might never have chance to - computer science is pretty much dead as far as most commercial companies are concerned, unless they are like Microsoft, Oracle etc, and even so most people never get to work on real complex stuff.

And give your cat a good wash for Christs' sake!

Comment

use access or excel to store the various bits of text for your CV, make sure that each entry has some proper info data with it, eg in access you might create a table with the following columns:
              TextID, -- ID column
              Text, -- text body
              Section, -- Personal info, experience, skills, hobbys etc...
              Type -- differentiates between your different CV types; ALL, support, Development, Admin, Team leader

Then use the data stored in access to build your CV as you need it. Using Mail merge or macros or whatever

Should keep you busy for few days (whilst you miss some important emails from agents)
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Apparently in Word there is something called “Paste as link” which does it , but each time you open a doc variation it asks you if you want to update from the master.

So probably this must be done in macros

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                  Pah, 200 - amateur!

What he said..
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by 2uk
                    I have 10 Doc CVs , each is a variation of my master cv .

How can I do so that a change in the master will propagate the change among all the other CVs?

In other words , I want certain parts of my CVs to be automatically updated from a single change. ( in a Db , or master CV , or linked data source , etc )

AND HURRAAYY 200 POSTS
                    There are solutions, but you'll soon get pissed off with managing the information. And you'll still have to check each output to make sure it has done the job correctly.

I found it quickest just to do what you are already doing - keep a master, then edit and tweak each time you need to send off a variation. Doesn't take long, assuming that you have a reasonable-length CV and not a novel!

Comment

Working...
                    X