• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: !q

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "!q"

Collapse

• 2uk
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot
    I don't understand I have one CV with my all my history, which does not change depending on the job I'm applying for. How could it?

It's only 2 and a bit pages.

Have one CV not many

I list related projects as per the job description. My is 4 pages.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    I don't understand I have one CV with my all my history, which does not change depending on the job I'm applying for. How could it?

It's only 2 and a bit pages.

Have one CV not many

Leave a comment:

• 2uk
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    There are solutions, but you'll soon get pissed off with managing the information. And you'll still have to check each output to make sure it has done the job correctly.

I found it quickest just to do what you are already doing - keep a master, then edit and tweak each time you need to send off a variation. Doesn't take long, assuming that you have a reasonable-length CV and not a novel!

I guess you re right. It is just this my internal desire to automate stuff. Too bad I am not a developer.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by 2uk
    I have 10 Doc CVs , each is a variation of my master cv .

How can I do so that a change in the master will propagate the change among all the other CVs?

In other words , I want certain parts of my CVs to be automatically updated from a single change. ( in a Db , or master CV , or linked data source , etc )

AND HURRAAYY 200 POSTS
    There are solutions, but you'll soon get pissed off with managing the information. And you'll still have to check each output to make sure it has done the job correctly.

I found it quickest just to do what you are already doing - keep a master, then edit and tweak each time you need to send off a variation. Doesn't take long, assuming that you have a reasonable-length CV and not a novel!

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    Pah, 200 - amateur!

No idea, what the answer is, just wanted to increase my post count - next stop is 20,000
    What he said..

Leave a comment:

• 2uk
    replied
    Apparently in Word there is something called “Paste as link” which does it , but each time you open a doc variation it asks you if you want to update from the master.

So probably this must be done in macros

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    use access or excel to store the various bits of text for your CV, make sure that each entry has some proper info data with it, eg in access you might create a table with the following columns:
    TextID, -- ID column
    Text, -- text body
    Section, -- Personal info, experience, skills, hobbys etc...
    Type -- differentiates between your different CV types; ALL, support, Development, Admin, Team leader

Then use the data stored in access to build your CV as you need it. Using Mail merge or macros or whatever

Should keep you busy for few days (whilst you miss some important emails from agents)

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    MS as in Microsoft? Help with development of Mono - most of work is done in C# now. This is pretty relevant since you will learn lots of stuff that otherwise you might never have chance to - computer science is pretty much dead as far as most commercial companies are concerned, unless they are like Microsoft, Oracle etc, and even so most people never get to work on real complex stuff.

And give your cat a good wash for Christs' sake!

Leave a comment:

• 2uk
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    Do some free work for open source project of some kind.
    Unfortunatelly I have only MS in my head.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Do some free work for open source project of some kind.

Leave a comment:

• 2uk
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    Pah, 200 - amateur!

No idea, what the answer is, just wanted to increase my post count - next stop is 20,000

Yeah, 200 posts result of 1.5 months on the bench. I am becoming suicidal.

Need to do some serious thinking.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Pah, 200 - amateur!

Leave a comment:

• 2uk
    started a topic !q

!q

I have 10 Doc CVs , each is a variation of my master cv .

How can I do so that a change in the master will propagate the change among all the other CVs?

In other words , I want certain parts of my CVs to be automatically updated from a single change. ( in a Db , or master CV , or linked data source , etc )

AND HURRAAYY 200 POSTS
    Last edited by 2uk; 16 May 2007, 15:09.

Working...
X