• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

win 98 - online but can't access web pages

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: let me explain a little more.....

Any idea what is is that fouls things up in the first place then ?

If this were an XP system would restoring system to last known good checkpoint be likely to clear it up.

Comment

I've only ever seen this fault occur with win98 & ME.
      Never with NT, 2k or XP.

Some say it's caused by the old newnet plugin, some say it's just a windows winsock bug. I'd guess the latter ;-)

Comment

Ch3W,
        I do remember thanking you for your suggested fix, and I also said, having followed it to the letter TWICE, it did not work.
        There is no need to be patronising.

Comment

Ah but you must remember that nobody reads stuff properly these days.

For instance I made a subtle change to my sig purely for the purpose of amusing/winding up ch3w (ITV Wales ??) - did he spot it - absolutely not or at least he didn't comment on it. My skills are wasted here

Comment

Any idea what is is that fouls things up in the first place then ?
            Someone here downloaded something called speedblaster(a so called internet connection booster) and the merc clk screen saver on the same day, and it has not worked since then even though I have now uninstalled both.

I remember having this problem earlier in the year. At the time I uninstalled my firewall and everything was then OK. To resolve the current problem, I have again uninstalled my firewall, but still no joy.

Comment

connect problem

I had a similar problem that I couldn't understand.

It turns out to be the modem. I could use it on one ISP and it work OK, but on NTL, it wouldn't.

I had to remove the modem (driver, not hardware) then re-add it.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Re: connect problem

> speedblaster(a so called internet connection booster)

these things frig around with some of the magic numbers in registry keys for stuff to do with DUN - unless it did more I can't see how it would cause your problem.

Screensaver ??? - that ??? assumes you keep your anti- virus software up to date.

In my case I don't recall doing anything - one day it was working the next not - bit like contracting

Comment

hahaha

lol I didn't spot that at all fiddler!

Rab I didn't mean to sound patronising sorry. Remember I have no idea of your depth of knowledge and was trying to help you man.

It's just I've sent that fix to so many people in the past and they've claimed it didn't work. Except when I run through the fix on their computer it works just fine.

Question... since running through my fix.. have you tried pinging domain names? Do that please. Are you still getting unknown host?
                  If this time it is replying... please ensure that you have not set a proxy server or something in IE when you've tried to fix this fault.

I know I'm persistant, but I've seen this situation literally 100's of times (I @#%$ you not).

Comment

Re: hahaha

I decided not to spend last weekend formatting my hard drive and reinstalling win 98. Instead I upgraded to win 2000 pro, and guess what - I can now view web pages.

I still wonder why all the suggested solutions( both from here and numerous discussion boards) did not resolve the problem.

Comment

Re: hahaha

sunspots

Comment

Working...
                      X