• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

win 98 - online but can't access web pages

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah yeah

fiddleabout,

I must confess. I've been reading posts on this forum for around a year or so now.... and appreciate your input. Actually, I even share your interest for the mx5 and have visited your site a few times (is is yours right?). Honest truth.. my first experiences with PC's started with an Amstrad 386. I was on the Internet with my 486 and my 9600 baud modem before I payed over the odds for a 28.8. I do have respect for people who have been working in IT for years and could probably talk about the old days with you until I conk out from exhaustion.
    Cheers to you.

Now to enjoy my summer holidays. lol.
    :lol

"Mummy mummy can I lick the bowl?"
    "No Jonny you will have to flush the toilet just like everybody else".

Comment

re:dns

sorry to bring this back to the topic.

Rabisco,

can you ping and traceroute the ip addresses you have for your dns servers ?

It looks as if you have dns servers defined but are not talking to them.

Comment

Re: re:dns

looks like DNS problem to me - ping DNS servers and if they dont work then talk to your provider.

Comment

Re: yeah yeah

Remember if you follow the instructions exactly as above you will be sorted. Of course, I'll look like an arsehole if this doesn't work... but I'm sure it will
          Ch3W,
          thanks for your suggestion, but I must disappoint you by saying it has not worked.

I can ping and trace route any IP addresses (even my ISP's DNS) and get a response, but can't ping or traceroute any FQDN.

Internet connection (connection and web pages) is ok on win 95 machine - same telephone line and same ISP

Comment

make sure you have all service packs on your win95 install and to be fair its best to use win98 (provided you have 128mb of ram)

Comment

errr... he is using 98 - his 95 box works - that rules out the ISP but not the IE settings (proxy etc.) or corruption of something or other in DUN

As I mentioned in my first post I had this problem appear from out of the blue. Spent ages pratting about with different ISPs, re-running isp setup script etc. etc. In the end I bit the bullet and reinstalled windows from scratch and the problem went away. Luckily in my case the machine involved is more or less only used for surfing - it would be a real pig if you had a load of your own software and data on it.

Comment

RAB!

Hiya rab...

I am so confident that the fix I posted works, that I will even phone you and talk you through it if necessary.

Please PM me your phone number, and a convienient time to call and I will!

I've seen this fault so many times, and heard so many people say that the fix doesn't work... but when I run through it with them it works fine.

Comment

Luckily in my case the machine involved is more or less only used for surfing - it would be a real pig if you had a load of your own software and data on it.
                  It's getting to the point now when I reckon I will just have to reinstall windows - and you guessed it; I do have a load of software and data on it.

What an interesting weekend I'm going to have

Comment

:-(

It's getting to the point now when I reckon I will just have to reinstall windows - and you guessed it; I do have a load of software and data on it.
                    nooooo don't do it, I swear my fix will work

Comment

let me explain a little more.....

Ok... the fix that I posted is this:

1. Remove TCP/IP from the network stack, DO NOT REBOOT THE PC
                      2. Take a backup of the registry
                      3. Completely remove the hkey_local_machine\system\currentcontrolset\servic es\winsock2 key.
                      4. Reboot the PC
                      5. Reinstall TCP/IP, and reboot once more
                      6. Problem should now be fixed

Let me explain it in more user friendly terms:

1)Go to control panel, network, select all instances of TCP/IP and remove them.

2) CLICK OK, BUT WHEN IT ASKS TO RESTART SAY NO!! (this is very important)

3)Click start, run, and type: regedit
                      You will now be in what is called the windows registry editor, be careful in here. Look for hkey local machine and navigate down it's tree to system, currentcontrolset, services.... notice that something on the right hand side of the window is labelled: winsock2
                      Select winsock2 so that it is highlighted, and press delete on your keyboard. You will be prompted are you sure you want to remove this key, click yes.

4)Now restart windows

5)When windows has reloaded, go back to control panel, then network. Click add, then choose protocol and select TCP/IP. This will re-install TCP/IP.

6)Click OK. It is now safe to restart windows. So when it asks if you want to restart say yes.

7)When windows is restarted... your fault WILL be fixed.

Please let me know how you get on. If you have trouble understanding the fix, PM me your phone number and I'll talk you through it. There is no need to format mate. Enjoy your weekend instead!

Comment

Working...
                      X