• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

web page login

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

web page login

hello

as a well known web idiot who has been tasked with given a web page, i've got a simple (not to me!) problem:

I want users to click on a "Members Area" link and get a password prompt. They enter password, hey presto, in!

I know this requires a script and I thought someone might be able to provied me a code sample and simple instructions on how to do it??

TIA

Conor

Think first thing you're gonna have to do Conor is tell us what possibilities you have on your server.

i.e. do you have asp, java, php, perl, and what kind of database, and how you intend to store the password.

after that it should be simple, although doesn't seem people visit this bit that often, so you might want to mention it in general, e.g. "Conor needs your help"

Comment

er..... no idea about server capabilities. As mentioned on this board before I'm not a techie !! this is just a sideline i'm doing to keep in with the client.

i might hold off on the blatent "Conor needs you help" post in the main forum just now, I feel inadequate enough as it is!

thanks for your help though. i'll post back when i know more.

cheers
      conor

Comment

login pages

Conor

you have two options.

1) write the scripts to provide a specific login page - and then handle the ongoing session using either cookies or built in session handling provided with asp or php or whatever. That is more powerful and flexible since you can then script actions further down the line.

2) use the http authentication mechanism to challenge for a response. this will allow you to restrict access to specific directories on the web server and is easy to set up without programming if you just want to restrict access to a set of pages and do not care about different actions for different people. read your web server documentation to see how to set it up.

Mark

Comment

Re: login pages

cheers lads. i'll find out more about the server

conor

Comment

Working...
          X