• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Blackberry or XDA?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blackberry or XDA?

I'm due an upgrade in just over a month. I want a phone I can use for emails etc also I would like to be able to do things like write webpages and work on my own spreadsheets on the train etc.

I'm about 95% decided to go XDA (I'm with O2) over blackberry because I'll be using my hotmail and POP3 accounts for various domains I have.

Is the only reason so many people have blackberries because they use them for their exchange mail accounts for work?

Is there anything else about them that makes them so popular or is it just that they are the permies PDA/phone of choice.

You'd think that a PDA phone with Windows on it would be better as it can create documents as well as read them/send recieve them - why is blackberry so popular?

I havew yet to get fully up to speed with the phone/pda thing but I want one and I'm due one in about 6 weeks!

Anything I'm missing or should know about?
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Originally posted by Jog On
    I'm due an upgrade in just over a month. I want a phone I can use for emails etc also I would like to be able to do things like write webpages and work on my own spreadsheets on the train etc.

I'm about 95% decided to go XDA (I'm with O2) over blackberry because I'll be using my hotmail and POP3 accounts for various domains I have.

Is the only reason so many people have blackberries because they use them for their exchange mail accounts for work?

Is there anything else about them that makes them so popular or is it just that they are the permies PDA/phone of choice.

You'd think that a PDA phone with Windows on it would be better as it can create documents as well as read them/send recieve them - why is blackberry so popular?

I havew yet to get fully up to speed with the phone/pda thing but I want one and I'm due one in about 6 weeks!

Anything I'm missing or should know about?
    I used to have a BlackBerry when I was a permie, and it was linked into Exchange. Excellent bit of kit, apart from the fecking Mrs used to read it all the time.....

From what I have seen, usability is an advantage BB's have over Windows Mobile phones

Comment

There is always the Palm Treo too, I have one and am rather pleased with it. You could also wait for the Apple iPhone!
      Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

I use an XDA and can't fault it. Windows mobile means you can put Skype on it and talk on WiFi for free.

Comment

Or the Orange SPV M3100. Windows Mobile, Wifi, Bluetooth...basically everything except a headphones jack. Also had a Blackberry, good with keeping in contact with the office.......but I prefer the Orange above and my fellow contractors at my current gig are all getting one

Comment

I was told that with Blackberries you got automatic GPRS anywhere you go ( outside the UK) , which means you stay connected all the time. If you have a GPRS connection with Windows Mobile this will have to be reconfigured if the provider change ( you go outside the UK ). Not 100 percent sure though.

This XDA thing .. is this just a Windows Mobile PDA ?

Comment

Originally posted by 2uk

The one I have is an O2 Orbit XDA which is a rebadged HTC P3300 - PDA/Phone/Sat Nav/Wi-fi/Bluetooth/Radio/Camera etc

Am v. happy with it but there are newer things out every month.

Comment

Just to add my 2p... I use an XDA equivalent (a T-mobile Vario II which, I believe, is actually known as a HTC Hermes to those who care about these things) for email, surfing and a few other apps. T-mobile currently have some very attractive tariffs for data usage (web'n'walk) whereas when I checked O2 they were very keen to stiff me per megabyte.

I used to like O2, especially their service, but I've found it has gone right down the pan in recent years. On T-mobile I went for a business contract which seems to have decent customer service... fingers crossed.

Note: you can get software to emulate blackberry functionality for an XDA but I can't vouch for it.

Comment

Originally posted by 2uk
                  I was told that with Blackberries you got automatic GPRS anywhere you go ( outside the UK) , which means you stay connected all the time. If you have a GPRS connection with Windows Mobile this will have to be reconfigured if the provider change ( you go outside the UK ). Not 100 percent sure though.

I have an O2 XDA Mini S, which is a rebadged HTC Wizard. Also happy with it.

Outside (or inside) the UK, I just press the email or browser button and the GPRS starts up. No config, no sweat.
                  God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

O2 Exec

I use O2 XDA Exec and it work fine. Can't fault it. However I would recommed you to remove O2 pre-istalled softwares as this will improve its processing dramatically.

Comment

Working...
                    X