• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dedicated server ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vetran and others who responded with links and offers ..

Thanks guys - we (that's Rhino & Fidddle) are now sorted - a contractor at our site has a UK2.net dedicated server which is under utilised so we are going halves on the 8 months remaining and putting our joint sites, the new sites, and a couple of my personal sites on it. Depending on how things work out we will either continue with that or possibly take one of their servers ourselves as they offer large bandwidth at a reasonable price which is unusual for the UK.

Comment

Mc Bain

private sent, sorry I didn't see the non flashing ezinbox icon!

fiddle, hope it works out, I used UK2 for a while, they were OK - did what they said on the tin, don't transfer your domain into them they charge a £19 release fee if you choose to move on, also everything is a small additional charge. Use 123reg or similar to hold the domain.

Comment

Fiddle

Couldn't really shout about this earlier, still being discussed.

We are currently having a January Sale.

UNIX / Windows accounts
        Yearly Pricing
        Bandwidth Usual Now
        24 Gig £84 £65
        60 Gig £180 £100
        120 Gig £300 £150
        All prices exclude UK VAT

Unlike other ISP's we allocate bandwidth on a per account basis for you to utilize over a year or until it reaches the level you purchase.

Regards Vetran

Comment

Vetran,

I sent you a mail at you ezboard address. In it I outlined some of my current need ref hosting.
          Might you have some time to look at it.

I shall be traveling on 14/01 and I would appreciate an indicative response before if you could.

Thanks

Comment

> Use 123reg or similar to hold the domain

I checked 123 out after you mentioned them - so far as I could see they only do redirects either by frames to mask the true url or direct into it - I saw no mention of being able to change nameservers. With redirects the search engines will index the true url if at all - I'm not keen on having a carefully chosen domain appear as 111.222.333.444/mysite or whatever.

Did I miss something?

Comment

Call yourself a techie ? >D - have a look under the FAQ for DNS Management. You have full control over DNS, I have a number of sites using this and it works fine.

Also if you aren't happy they change the IPS TAG (release the domain) for free (UK2 charge £19) , I haven't had to test this because the service has always been superb, even though its exclusively via the control panel. I think they have a phone number but I have never used it. I have moved through 4 different web space providers for one site in three years no problems.

Also the web forwarding (Different to DNS management) masks the destination site so you see www.mysite.com even if you have a tripod members page. When I was using my plusnet web space it remapped it nicely, admittedly it was always www.mysite.com but it looked OK.

Comment

Yep - you're right - that looks to be pretty comprehensive.

I'd already asked for one to be set to UK2NET IPS TAG by the current host so it's too late for that. I'll register a new domain through 123 and have a play.

Comment

Working...
                X