• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

macros and microsoft word

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

macros and microsoft word

I want to do the following:

When you open a specific document only.
    (For example my c.v.)

if date > "31 dec 2003" then
    msgbox("This c.v. is stale please request another")
    end if

I do not want this popping up with every document
    ( ie saving this in normal.dot )
    I also and this might be the killer,
    do not want some macro virus checker to have a fit
    at the macro in the document.

general verbal appreciated ...

yeah right and who is going to exactly open word document which warns that user that there are macros inside that can wipe out their PC and everything networked to it in addition to spamming everyone on contact list?

if you want to distribute your word document to people who do not know you well DO NOT USE MACROS!

Just put date on it and link to up to date CV on your website.

Comment

I really don't know Word VBA at all but if you look at the VB project Explorer you will see the current object is called
      ThisDocument, so it's a fair geuss that if you put something along the lines of

Private Sub Document_Open()
      If ThisDocument.Name = "whatever" then
      blah blah your code
      endif
      End Sub

should work. Can't fill in the details.

Comment

every single half decent anti virus traps auto_open code in word documents!!! It is really stupid idea to use it in your CV as it can significantly reduce number of people who would bother to read document that executes something on their PC when they did not expect it!

Comment

I would NEVER open a Microsoft Office document unless.

a. I know the sender
          b. I have spoken to the sender and they have confirmed they have sent it.

Anyone who doesn't follow this can kiss their PC goodbye IMHO.

Comment

(This message was left blank)

Comment

to solve the original problem - I'd include image into word document referenced to your website and this image - which can be unique for each version of the document can show whether its outdated version or not.

Added bonus is that you'd know that your CV was opened - a wee bit of technical analysis and you'd know the company who opened it

Comment

Had a quick look at that.
                Insert an Excel Object, Enter a normal Excel formula and then format the Object. It wont send a MSGBOX but you can put a simple IF.ELSE conditional statement with formatiing to give you your header.

Nuff Said.

MF

Comment

yeah and require Excel to be present :lol

Comment

Why don't you use a PDF with an effective date in the name? No Word issues then.

Comment

Working...
                    X