• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MS Access books/tutorials for a newbie

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS Access books/tutorials for a newbie

Ok,

I'm not technical, at least not anymore, and my deveopment and coding days are long gone.

I have an idea for a project but I have no clue about Access/SQL development. It's hugely complicated and most of the data will be static text.

The end result needs to be stand alone and run under windows. It's aimed at PHB's so Linux doesnt figure in the equation.

Anyone have any good guides to getting started with Access/SQL that I can play with?

Quick summary of the project :

Essential :

A couple of forms containing pregenerated text fields and drop down selection boxes for user data entry against each field - Numerical values only.

A number of automatically generated report pages based on the data entered in the forms. Pretty pictures and graphs as output so senior management dont get bored. No need for user defined reports.

Nice to have:

The ability to track changes in the user entered data over time ( months not minutes ) and include this in the reports.

And finally, no, I dont want to pay any of you lot to do it. I'm looking at you Bob Shawadiwadi.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

It's aimed at PHB's so Linux doesnt figure in the equation.
    You mean you don't want to spend the next 6 months installing a network card, and would rather just use something that works, that everyone is comfortable with and is productive?

Comment

Access Developers handbook

Access Developers Handbook

Both parts combined will get you from total newbie to developing Access and Access/SQL apps without getting lost in "creative but in majority of cases useless" stuff

Comment

I remember that Access Developer's Handbook from my old Access days!

It is definitely the one to have if you're going to do lots of Access and aren't afraid to be dealing in VBA from the word go.

this one : http://www.amazon.com/Access-2000-Pr.../dp/007882575X
        is a really good quick start, but doesn't seem to have been updated since version 2000.

Comment

Working...
        X