• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Linksys Wireless Router

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linksys Wireless Router

Linksys Wireless-N Broadband Router WRT300N

Any good? I'm particularly interested in restricting the hours young Trolls can access (fascist dad) & like the look of the policies that can be configured on this

or is there a better solution?
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Originally posted by Troll

Any good? I'm particularly interested in restricting the hours young Trolls can access (fascist dad) & like the look of the policies that can be configured on this

How about using local policies on the PC to restrict access?

Comment

Vista has a parental control system that works in the same way as log in restrictions in AD/NT i.e. you can specify hours that an account can use the machine. You can also block certain sites or applications.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Back In Business
        Vista has a parental control system that works in the same way as log in restrictions in AD/NT i.e. you can specify hours that an account can use the machine. You can also block certain sites or applications.

HTH
        Means you have to buy the vista upgrade.... only just transitioned 98 >XP

Comment

Originally posted by Jawz
          How about using local policies on the PC to restrict access?
          I thought about that ... but it would be easier to admin the router from a centralised point
          Last edited by Troll; 26 February 2007, 12:22.

Comment

Get an old PC and slap IPCop on it.
            Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by Troll

Yes go for it. You can also control the times etc remotely from the Internet, eg from work. I also use my PDA to control it using Wifi. So if I want to shut my service down at 22:00 in Jersey while I am in a hotel in Surrey, I just get my PDA out and change the time settings or log people off or block sites etc.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Have you looked at ZyXEL ?

Saw these guys at a show recently, I had a long chat with their technical guy who was extremely knowledgeable. (I was looking for a pre configured routers for home workers and their answer seemed pretty sensible).

http://www.zyxel.co.uk/web/product_f...No=PDCA2006067

I will be taking one of their routers for a trial.

But I also noticed the web filtering :

Basically uses a Trend plug in that does net content management etc and virus blocking.

http://uk.trendmicro-europe.com/cons...&feature_id=60

It also looks like you can limit broadband time so you can allocate them a few hours a day once they have used it then they have to wait till tomorrow.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I have a Linksys Wireless G router (can't remember the model number) but I've had it for a while now prob around 2-3 years and it's done me proud, never crashed, failed or gone wrong.

I'd recommend it to anyone.

It's easy to setup and configure wireless security, port forwarding too.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran
                    It also looks like you can limit broadband time so you can allocate them a few hours a day once they have used it then they have to wait till tomorrow.
                    Thanks that's the kind of control I was looking for - a basic allocation per day - if they want more then they can trade their pocket money or chores for extra internet hours

Comment

Working...
                    X