• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Apple MacBook Pro 16, M2 Pro or M2 Max cpu

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apple MacBook Pro 16, M2 Pro or M2 Max cpu

My 2012 MacBook Pro retina has served me well. I am ok with the 30min battery life and busted left speaker only annoyance is lack of updates on office 365 or some apps requiring a higher Mac OS.

I'm not into video or audio processing and most database development software I run tend to be on windows/unix vm's hosted on another windows laptop or mini pc. Occasionally I have to run the vm's on by 2012 MacBook and speed seems ok .... when I don't know better.

Is the M2 Max an overkill compared to the M2 pro?

16gb ram is probably enough.

only reason for going for the max is if you need 32gb of ram it doesn’t cost that much more..

mind you do you need the 16” I find the 14” I have far lighter and not much slower…
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      16gb ram is probably enough.

only reason for going for the max is if you need 32gb of ram it doesn’t cost that much more..

mind you do you need the 16” I find the 14” I have far lighter and not much slower…

I can't think of a reason why I need more than 16".

Not really considered the 14" but I'll pop into the apple store to see if I can get way with a smaller screen size

Comment

Costco have the 14" M2 Max for just under £3000 inc VAT https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/app...needed-4156811
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
        X