• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tracing an internet connection

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hobnob View Post
    Ironically, that IP address is one of Google's DNS servers, so you're not quite removing it from the equation!
    OK, to be more precise, I should have said removing DNS lookup from the equation.

I read that it's distributed across the globe, with huge redundancy, so it's as likely to be UP as anything else on the internet.

ps. there's also 1.1.1.1
    Last edited by woody1; 13 June 2023, 07:55.

Comment

Originally posted by woody1 View Post

OK, to be more precise, I should have said removing DNS lookup from the equation.

I read that it's distributed across the globe, with huge redundancy, so it's as likely to be UP as anything else on the internet.

ps. there's also 1.1.1.1
      1.1.1.1 is not a Google IP.
      In fact neither is 8.8.8.8 It's a Level 3 IP that Google uses for DNS

At least 8.8.8.8 is a genuine one for Google though.
      1.1.1.1 is not something I'd use as it's used by anonymization services and has multiple malware threats associated. It's registered to Cloudflare.
      1.1.1.1 IP Address Report (ibmcloud.com)

Some further reading in IP address space at IANA Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (iana.org) They manage the address space (delegated to authorities in each region).
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

1.1.1.1 is not a Google IP.
        In fact neither is 8.8.8.8 It's a Level 3 IP that Google uses for DNS

At least 8.8.8.8 is a genuine one for Google though.
        1.1.1.1 is not something I'd use as it's used by anonymization services and has multiple malware threats associated. It's registered to Cloudflare.
        1.1.1.1 IP Address Report (ibmcloud.com)

Some further reading in IP address space at IANA Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (iana.org) They manage the address space (delegated to authorities in each region).
        1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 are the DNS IPs provided by Cloudflare. Supposedly faster that the other DNS providers as they do not log unnecessary information. Hence its other uses.
        ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
        Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

I've been having intermittent problems with my mobile broadband (no internet, slow speed). I wanted to try and trace the route end-to-end but unfortunately tracert returns mostly "* * *". I also tried a 3rd party tool tracetcp which uses TCP packets, instead of tracert's ICMP, but it was the same. Increasing the tracert timeout doesn't make any difference either.
          Have you tried logging onto the router's admin console and trace route from there?

Virgin's routers support this function, but I've not tried those from other providers.
          Last edited by wattaj; 13 June 2023, 10:46. Reason: Speillng.
          ---

Former member of IPSE.

---

---

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post

1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 are the DNS IPs provided by Cloudflare. Supposedly faster that the other DNS providers as they do not log unnecessary information. Hence its other uses.
            ******* Cloudflare.... It's sh1te.... I hate it....

DNS is a great example of something so well designed it will last for centuries. No issues with scale like IPv4
            Cloudflare is snake oil at best, or at worst a proxy service that fails too frequently (Cloudflare gateway timeout today ruined my registration with a cloud service as it timed out as I was doing the final MFA verification so now I have to ring a fecking call centre to do the registration)..
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

******* Cloudflare.... It's sh1te.... I hate it....

DNS is a great example of something so well designed it will last for centuries. No issues with scale like IPv4
              Cloudflare is snake oil at best, or at worst a proxy service that fails too frequently (Cloudflare gateway timeout today ruined my registration with a cloud service as it timed out as I was doing the final MFA verification so now I have to ring a fecking call centre to do the registration)..
              Horses for courses.
              ---

Former member of IPSE.

---

---

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post

Have you tried logging onto the router's admin console and trace route from there?

Virgin's routers support this function, but I've not tried those from other providers.
                The router came included when I signed up for mobile broadband. It's basically a black box, and there's bugger all diagnostic capability. It doesn't even tell me the ISP's gateway IP address.

I may upgrade to something better. However, I suspect that most of the ISP's network is configured not to respond to traceroute or ping. I read that many ISPs do this for security reasons to prevent hackers mapping out their network.
                Last edited by woody1; 13 June 2023, 12:35.

Comment

The router came included when I signed up for mobile broadband. It's basically a black box, and there's bugger all diagnostic capability. It doesn't even tell me the ISP's gateway IP address.

I may upgrade to something better. However, I suspect that most of the ISP's network is configured not to respond to traceroute or ping. I read that many ISPs do this for security reasons to prevent hackers mapping out their network.
                  so log a ticket with the provider. It's their problem to solve. You are just the customer.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

This wasn't what I was expecting.

I ran concurrent "ping -t" tests to the following addresses, and the average round trip times were always practically identical (typically just under 40ms).

ISP's DNS server............(4 hops from my router with tracert)
                    bbc.com...............................(11 hops)
                    8.8.8.8..................................(12 hops)

Obviously most of the latency will be between my router and the ISP, however I had thought that the round trip time would be less for a server on the ISP's network, with far fewer hops, but clearly not.

Comment

This wasn't what I was expecting.

I ran concurrent "ping -t" tests to the following addresses, and the average round trip times were always practically identical (typically just under 40ms).

ISP's DNS server............(4 hops from my router with tracert)
                      bbc.com...............................(11 hops)
                      8.8.8.8..................................(12 hops)

Obviously most of the latency will be between my router and the ISP, however I had thought that the round trip time would be less for a server on the ISP's network, with far fewer hops, but clearly not.
                      why would you think that? The latency from provider network to BBC or Google is likely in the 1-3 ms range. The 4g network is at least one order of magnitude greater.

And as the service uses a proxy, ping latency times aren't in the slightest bit helpful for what you're trying to diagnose.

Have you logged a ticket yet?
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X