• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Seeking Advice on 7kW EV Charging Point Options for Upcoming Electric Car Delivery

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeking Advice on 7kW EV Charging Point Options for Upcoming Electric Car Delivery

I have an electric car arriving in the next week or so, and I've been giving some thought to installing an electric vehicle charging point at my place. My neighbour had one fitted not long ago, and I'm contemplating going for this model: https://www.electricpoint.com/electr...ger-white.html

It's worth mentioning that the max charging capacity of my electric supply is 7kW. The electrician who sorted my neighbour's charging point is well-versed in this particular model and is available to do the work. Before I commit, though, I'd appreciate any input from those who have experience with charging points. Are there any other options I should mull over? Any words of wisdom on what to bear in mind when choosing a charging point?

Grateful for any advice or recommendations you can share!

Have you 100% ruled out just using your neighbour's leccy when he pops out?

Comment

I'm also planning to get a Zappi at some stage (if/when I get an EV). There's more info on the MyEnergi website:
      Buy zappi Online Today | zappi Installer | myenergi UK
      Personally, I want to go for the 22kW model. As I understand it, that can be connected to a single phase supply initially, then re-connected to a 3-phase supply later. If you think you might get 3-phase power eventually, it might be worth paying a bit extra for the charging point now, to save money on replacing it later.

The main reason I'm looking at this brand is because they also have other products (eddi, harvi, libbi) which should hopefully work well together. However, this is mainly based on me watching "Fully Charged" (on YouTube) rather than any practical experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
        Have you 100% ruled out just using your neighbour's leccy when he pops out?
        They have locks on them apparantly, no trust anymore!

Comment

Originally posted by hobnob View Post
          I'm also planning to get a Zappi at some stage (if/when I get an EV). There's more info on the MyEnergi website:
          Buy zappi Online Today | zappi Installer | myenergi UK
          Personally, I want to go for the 22kW model. As I understand it, that can be connected to a single phase supply initially, then re-connected to a 3-phase supply later. If you think you might get 3-phase power eventually, it might be worth paying a bit extra for the charging point now, to save money on replacing it later.

The main reason I'm looking at this brand is because they also have other products (eddi, harvi, libbi) which should hopefully work well together. However, this is mainly based on me watching "Fully Charged" (on YouTube) rather than any practical experience.
          We still plan on moving and re-listing our house so I don't want to spend too much really. I don't plan on upgrading to 3-phase, from what I've read its pretty expensive.
          Plus the wife will be charging it at work the 2 days she has to travel to the office. So I think we could get by with one or two overnight charges a week.

The electrician is booked up forever apparantly, so I need to find someone or a company to do the wiring up.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
            The electrician is booked up forever apparantly, so I need to find someone or a company to do the wiring up.
            If you go to the link I posted before (on the MyEnergi website), the "Installation Options" tab has a "Get a quote" button. That's probably the easiest way to find an approved installer.

One other thing to consider is whether you want tethered or untethered. The model you linked to in your first post is tethered (i.e. it has a cable permanently attached, like a pump at a petrol station). Personally, I think I'll go for untethered, because it looks neater and it gives more flexibility for different vehicles. That might also be the best option for you if you're planning to sell the house.

Comment

7 kw is fine. Your vehicles will be sitting on the drive most of the time so no need for a fast charge.

I'd get tethered so you can just plug in, no need to dig out cables.

My charger is ancient but I'd like one that I could control with my home automation system so I could better control charging to match my solar system output. That might be irrelevant to you though.
              Back at the coal face

Comment

I found a local installer who bought/installed the tethered Zappi for around £850, which includes a grant. Just a helpful tip: if you have a registered business at your address and the director's name matches the owner or the person leasing the car, you may be eligible for a £350 grant.

Just waiting for the car to arrive now!
                Last edited by woohoo; 27 April 2023, 13:31.

Comment

Working...
                X