• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

People hacking wordpress sites

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I occasionally look at web server logs and they're always full of attempts to break in to all kinds of things, not just WordPress. Usually it's coming from some random IP address and probing numerous possibly-vulnerable URLs for a few minutes (which may or may not include /wp-admin or whatever it is, depending on what the bot is trying to achieve) after which they move on. Most servers I look at tend to get probed this way at least two or three times a day.

So it's probably not targeted at all, there are just millions of these things literally testing every IP address on the Internet for a way in, and your plugin reports the ones that try the endpoints it recognises.

Comment

I have a few WP sites which experience this as well. I use Wordfence (free version seems adequate enough). I did wonder if there's a list somewhere (dark web?) of possible sites and usernames, because I see the same (invalid) usernames being tried. I've got Wordfence set to max security, so IPs are blocked for 2 months.

I don't pay much attention to the IPs or their locations because I figure they're most likely being disguised anyway but I sleep better knowing that the perps don't get much of a chance to get in

Comment

Working...
      X