• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Skype and Dect Phones

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skype and Dect Phones

Has anyone used any of the dual Skype / DECT phones?

Any opinions of them? I am looking for one that also doesn't require a PC, so it has an Ethernet or WiFi interface, rather than USB

Cheers
    Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Originally posted by portseven

Any opinions of them? I am looking for one that also doesn't require a PC, so it has an Ethernet or WiFi interface, rather than USB

Cheers
    I have one of these:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympia-9211.../dp/B00092ZILA

Seems to work well - had no problems with it either using it as a normal phone or as a Skype phone. However, it does require the base station to be connected to a PC via USB.

These maybe more appropriate for your requirements
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dualphone-Co...398270-5610815

http://www.amazon.co.uk/DUALphone-30...398270-5610815

These last 2 links appear to be exactly the same phone, just rebadged.

Comment

Cheers
      I haven't but I''m interested too.

<pedant>

To repeat the OP question for precision, he or she is/I am interested in a phone that:

1. can operate as a Skype phone without a PC.
      2. can also operate as a normal cordless phone.

I (and I daresay the OP) can find such phones on the web; it is opinions from users that are sought.

</pedant>

Comment

If you want a mobile capable of skype have a look at the Orange SPV M3100 It has a wireless NIC built in

Comment

Originally posted by expat
          I haven't but I''m interested too.

<pedant>

To repeat the OP question for precision, he or she is/I am interested in a phone that:

1. can operate as a Skype phone without a PC.
          2. can also operate as a normal cordless phone.

I (and I daresay the OP) can find such phones on the web; it is opinions from users that are sought.

</pedant>
          OP here, who is a he (though can be a she for the right price ;-))

Yes you are right, I want a Skype phone that dones't need a PC. So has the whole Skype Stack built in. I did have a look at the PC Worlds / Currys the other day but they all seemed to want to plug into a PC (via usb).

And yes it needs to operate as a normal phone too, DECT is possible.

The reason beign is that our current cordless phone is on its last legs and so thought I would see whats out there. With me recently getting on the Skype thing, thought I might kill 2 birds with the same stone.

I have found a Netgear one but it seems not to be out yet...

http://www.netgear.co.uk/extra/skype...less_phone.php
          Last edited by portseven; 12 February 2007, 16:09.
          Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Seen it in Frankfurt a few weeks ago and was tempted but decided to just get a USB Skype phone for the PC (US Robotics)
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt
              Seen it in Frankfurt a few weeks ago and was tempted but decided to just get a USB Skype phone for the PC (US Robotics)
              Cool, looks like it is 'out' then.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
                If you want a mobile capable of skype have a look at the Orange SPV M3100 It has a wireless NIC built in
                No, I don't want a mobile capable of Skype (or to be precise, I don't want another, I already have an O2 mini XDA S).

I am looking for a Skype phone that works without a PC, and can also function as a normal cordless (not mobile) phone.

I don't want just to be told the name of one, I want an opinion from someone who has used one.

Is it me

Comment

OP here, who is a he (though can be a she for the right price ;-))

Yes you are right, I want a Skype phone that dones't need a PC. So has the whole Skype Stack built in. I did have a look at the PC Worlds / Currys the other day but they all seemed to want to plug into a PC (via usb).

And yes it needs to operate as a normal phone too, DECT is possible.

The reason beign is that our current cordless phone is on its last legs and so thought I would see whats out there. With me recently getting on the Skype thing, thought I might kill 2 birds with the same stone.

I have found a Netgear one but it seems not to be out yet...

http://www.netgear.co.uk/extra/skype...less_phone.php
                  Well, Skype themselves sell at least one (Skype phones ) but it'd be nice to hear from someone who has used it.

If you buy it, let me know

Comment

I tried Skype but disliked their closed network as I want to use VOIP as a business phone.

I went for Voipfone instead and bought this little beauty . It's ethernet and has lots of lovely features. It's also clear as a bell.

With Voipfone I can forward any calls to my mobile when I'm working away from home.

It's got wires though so I s'pose you're not interested.
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X