• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to make the BBC more Mac/Linux friendly

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to make the BBC more Mac/Linux friendly

Taken from Mac Format Magazine, but it also applies to Linux.

You're probably aware by now that the BBC has been given the go-ahead for its On-Demand Online TV service. Its new iPlayer software will enable you to watch programs online for 7 days after they are broadcast.

There's one big problem for Mac users - it's not Mac compatible.

But here's the good news - there is something that YOU can do about it.

The BBC is putting its new service up for public consultation . Simply answers the questions, but question 5 is the key one for Mac users.

"How important is it that the proposed seven-day catch-up service over the internet is available to consumers who are not using Microsoft software?"

You’d be surprised how influential just a few responses can be, so motivating as many Mac owners as you know to contribute would be good. Just send them a link to this story.

The Trust is required to pay attention to the consultation and it really is worth making a representation. This is probably the biggest change to broadcasting methods the BBC has had to face since the introduction of commercial television, so they need to get it right.

Please pass this on to all the Mac owners you know.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Originally posted by cojak
    Please pass this on to all the Mac owners you know.
    That won't take long.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan
      That won't take long.
      For me at least, it's my whole family including Mrs Bob. Whenever they asked for advice on getting a new computer I pointed them towards a Mac. Makes my life easier as I don't get support calls anymore

I'll pass this on...
      Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Re: How to make the BBC more Mac/Linux friendly

Originally posted by cojak
        Taken from Mac Format Magazine, but it also applies to Linux.

You're probably aware by now that the BBC has been given the go-ahead for its On-Demand Online TV service. Its new iPlayer software will enable you to watch programs online for 7 days after they are broadcast.

There's one big problem for Mac users - it's not Mac compatible
        Sort of makes up for all the years that BBC news provided most of it's content only via RealPlayer or the Windows Media version was streamed at half the rate.

Comment

Don't know why they just don't release a player using their own Dirac codec that they have been developing for a good while now.

Either that or use something open like Ogg
          Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

I can never get even the normal video clips to play on the BBC website, even in windows sometimes.

Flash based video players just work but they are still dicking around with real player and MS' player for some reason.
            All that is necessary for evil members to succeed is that good members post nothing

Comment

Working...
            X