• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

GIT - is it me or is it just really horrible?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post

Sorry to burst your bubble but I've been contracting for 15 years (and perm for many years prior to that) and this is the first time I've had a client who used Git.

I've worked with a fair few big corporates over the years as well as smaller outfits. I'm sure Git is very popular but don't overlook the fact that at lot of places are still using "old-school" source control.

Again, not all software projects are large, globally distributed affairs. I can certainly see the benefits of a Git-type system in those circumstances, but many companies will have smaller localised code-bases that don't require that type of functionality. Hence why there are a lot of devs around who have not encountered Git before.
    If your client isn't really a software company I would consider it lucky they have source control at all. That said, Git's not just about large, distributed affairs. Outside FOSS, I have never seen anyone really using the distributed part of Git. That's a feature that's great if you need it, but Git is just better at regular branch/merge operations than other options. I don't know if that's because it's an dVCS or just because it is, but even working in a team of 2 I would choose git. You get this stuff for free off the back of the total overkill it provides
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      DevOps now integrates pretty well with Git, as does VS of course - actually the git features in VS are really well done from my usage.
      Agreed. We Data Engineers have had git thrust upon us because snowflake UX Devs don't understand DevOps.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

It's worth reflecting on just how remarkable the tools we have are. Every modern developer takes something like Git for granted, and expects it to basically be free. Many other examples of course.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
        X