• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Modem vs Modem router combo, which is best?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modem vs Modem router combo, which is best?

I have an Asus DSL AC68U wireless modem router which I am using on my PlusNet broadband. I ditched their hub because the Asus DD WRT firmware gave me good control on all the devices on the network. Apart from the flimsy plastic housing of antennas breaking at the elbow the 2.4ghz has been stalling a few times. I am now thinking maybe its time for a new one possibly with Wifi 6.

Would a a separate box solution be better?. So instead of looking for a wifi6 DSL modem router , just get a separate DSL modem box and then a wifi 6 router.

Assuming going for separate modem, can the DSLAC68U/PlusNet hub work simply as a modem (wireless off) or are the BT openreach (Huawei/Ecolife) modems far better solutions?
    Last edited by css_jay99; 11 May 2021, 10:13.

I ditched my RT-AC68U recently. It was defo getting worse with each firmware update, wifi was very up and down. That and the family expectation to have perfect streaming in every room which it want even close to offering.

( Moved to synology mesh in house and office and I've been very impressed overall )

Comment

I'm a fan of separate modem and router.

I started using a Huawei EchoLife HG612 (running Howlingwolf's firmware B030SP08 which allows access to the linestats) in combination with my Asus DSL-N55U when I changed to VDSL, as Asus is only ADSL and found this much better than the ISP supplied device.

This also facilitated a move to FTTP which has a separate modem, so just plugged in the Asus.

To be fair now the Asus needs replacing if I want WiFi 6.

Comment

Working...
      X