• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Microsoft Teams - testing video /audio

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Microsoft Teams - testing video /audio

I want to test the audio on Microsoft Teams before a meeting (interview). I don't usually use Teams - I usually use Zoom. In zoom you can just go in and test out audio etc v easily.

It's worth doing before a meeting as sometimes you can get weird audio effects.

However in Teams when I go into settings I don't get any option to select Devices and test audio - it's not there. I think 'devices' should be there,though.

Has anyone else had this problem? I am on Windows 10.

I suppose i'll just have to hope it works when I select the link they have sent me.

Under Settings; Devices, you can make a test call, at the bottom it should also show a preview of your camera

Comment

Originally posted by anonymouse View Post
      Under Settings; Devices, you can make a test call, at the bottom it should also show a preview of your camera
      This is assuming you have installed the desktop client. You can't make a test call with the web browser version

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

This is assuming you have installed the desktop client. You can't make a test call with the web browser version
        I didn't know that, I have the desktop client installed The OP didn't say either way, but I assumed desktop as "Am on Windoze 10" and not "I'm on Edge

Comment

Originally posted by anonymouse View Post

I didn't know that, I have the desktop client installed The OP didn't say either way, but I assumed desktop as "Am on Windoze 10" and not "I'm on Edge
          How many years have you worked in IT. Between clueless users and ones trying to hide their mistakes my default position has become start from the basics and double check everything
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by lawnmower View Post
            I want to test the audio on Microsoft Teams before a meeting (interview). I don't usually use Teams - I usually use Zoom. In zoom you can just go in and test out audio etc v easily.

It's worth doing before a meeting as sometimes you can get weird audio effects.

However in Teams when I go into settings I don't get any option to select Devices and test audio - it's not there. I think 'devices' should be there,though.

Has anyone else had this problem? I am on Windows 10.

I suppose i'll just have to hope it works when I select the link they have sent me.
            The clue for me that the OP is using the browser version, not the desktop app, is the sentence I've bolded.

Comment

definitely using desktop version - running as a standalone app on desktop. That's the one I downloaded.
              https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/micr...s/download-app

selecting desktop

Comment

Originally posted by lawnmower View Post
                definitely using desktop version - running as a standalone app on desktop. That's the one I downloaded.
                https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/micr...s/download-app

selecting desktop
                So you've installed it, launched it and put in your account credentials? It's annoying in that you need some form of a Microsoft account for it to work.

Under settings there should be Devices then just under the microphone there will be a button that says 'Make a Test Call'.

What options do you have in Settings if you can't see Devices?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

You can test your mic and camera when joining a call on the browser version. It expects a Google Chrome user agent string from your web browser, but you can just as easily use a privacy respecting browser such as Firefox and just change the user agent string to match Chrome.

Team calls work from Firefox just swell using this method. Before you join a call, even a past call that is no longer a valid meeting link, you can see your camera and test your mic.

Comment

Originally posted by agentzero View Post

You can test your mic and camera when joining a call on the browser version. It expects a Google Chrome user agent string from your web browser, but you can just as easily use a privacy respecting browser such as Firefox and just change the user agent string to match Chrome.

Team calls work from Firefox just swell using this method. Before you join a call, even a past call that is no longer a valid meeting link, you can see your camera and test your mic.
                    Handy - I was looking for the 'make a test call' button. I've had some difficulty connecting to meetings via the browser version so never spotted that as I don't use it much.

Comment

Working...
                    X