• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SQL Server Reporting Services

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SQL Server Reporting Services

This seems to be taking off in a big way

I'm currently implementing it for a client, despite never using it myself i decided to save them some money seeing as how it comes bundled with SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Edition and does everything they need and more.

Anyone else think it will soon be a serious contender for crystal reports?
    Coffee's for closers

Originally posted by Spacecadet
    This seems to be taking off in a big way

I'm currently implementing it for a client, despite never using it myself i decided to save them some money seeing as how it comes bundled with SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Edition and does everything they need and more.

Anyone else think it will soon be a serious contender for crystal reports?
    Has been in my book since it's early beta, crystal is shyte. Active Reports, now your talking
    whats the lowest you can do this for?

Comment

Originally posted by HankWangford
      Has been in my book since it's early beta, crystal is shyte. Active Reports, now your talking
      Agree 100%

Wouldn't touch Crystal or whatever it's called with a bargepole. Bug-ridden, expensive bloatware.

Comment

Now i'm doubly glad I told them to stick the crystal reports demo CD in the bin
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

"Now i'm doubly glad I told them to stick the crystal reports demo CD in the bin "

As it happens I am the Crystal Man. Other Developers call me the God of Crystal Gods (among other names).

SQL Reporting Services is the way forward. How long will it remain free though????? Hey??? Hey??????
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
            Agree 100%

Wouldn't touch Crystal or whatever it's called with a bargepole. Bug-ridden, expensive bloatware.
            This is no bar to success.

Comment

Reporting Services is still a long way off from being a mature product. You still have to do alot of work to provide the same level of functionality for it to compare favourably against either BO/Crystal or Cognos. The report scheduling needs alot of work IMO.

However, that said, its free, incredibly extensible and integrates well with the whole Microsoft family of products and I choose it every time!!!!

Comment

Im still using DTS with my Active X, VBA, Pivot Tabling.

Its the nuts.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I do it all in COBOL VS II 'cos I is a MAN
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Weltchy
                    Reporting Services is still a long way off from being a mature product. You still have to do alot of work to provide the same level of functionality for it to compare favourably against either BO/Crystal or Cognos. The report scheduling needs alot of work IMO.

However, that said, its free, incredibly extensible and integrates well with the whole Microsoft family of products and I choose it every time!!!!
                    Regarding the schedules - it's not difficult to write an app that can schedule reports for you in a more definable manner, including the ability to pass parameters to reports which require them.

This is actually one of the things I like about it, the URL access gives plenty of flexibility.
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X