• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Data Analytics in construction projects?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Data Analytics in construction projects?

Hey All,

I am curious about how data analytics can be used in more construction projects. Especially in cases were companies do not have their own data analytic teams.

I understand that data analytics and digitization in construction are becoming more 'popular' trends but I am curious about what everyone's experience with analytic services has been like?

Do you think data analytics on a project basis to get insights into wasted costs, material and time would be useful?

Max

We're more IT contractors than building contractors so not sure if there's much experience of analytics in the constuction industry here.

I should imagine it would be an interesting project as construction isn't like manufacturing, where you can control the end to end process and so monitor the use of raw materials.

Comment

Originally posted by Max F View Post

Do you think data analytics on a project basis to get insights into wasted costs, material and time would be useful?
      I think it would be very useful to the larger construction companies. In fact I'd be surprised if they don't already use it.
      Biggest issue would be getting the data inputted into the system to start with. I'm sure you can get the QS data in there easily, but a small firm isn;t going to pay for someone to go round counting bricks used against the plan to input.

Is your background data analytics or construction?
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        We're more IT contractors than building contractors so not sure if there's much experience of analytics in the construction industry here.

I should imagine it would be an interesting project as construction isn't like manufacturing, where you can control the end to end process and so monitor the use of raw materials.
        IT contractors, understood.

And yeah that is one of the things which interests me about it. As unlike manufacturing there is no "assembly process" with repetitive actions which can be easily measured. Instead it has to be different activities which are measured, e.g. re-work, sections completed, incidents etc.. With then also things like bills of quantities containing data.

So it is an interesting challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

I think it would be very useful to the larger construction companies. In fact I'd be surprised if they don't already use it.
          Biggest issue would be getting the data inputted into the system to start with. I'm sure you can get the QS data in there easily, but a small firm isn;t going to pay for someone to go round counting bricks used against the plan to input.

Is your background data analytics or construction?
          More construction, I should say that I am a recent graduate and want to do this project to help me learn more about the industry and analytics.

I have previously done some work at a company were I helped them with their data analytics on a project using Daily Progress Reports. It was a large company but it made me curious about if this could be done for smaller companies.

So far I know a few companies that do this but they do it for larger companies at high prices. Though for me this is just an interesting project right now.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Max F View Post

More construction, I should say that I am a recent graduate and want to do this project to help me learn more about the industry and analytics.

I have previously done some work at a company were I helped them with their data analytics on a project using Daily Progress Reports. It was a large company but it made me curious about if this could be done for smaller companies.

So far I know a few companies that do this but they do it for larger companies at high prices. Though for me this is just an interesting project right now.

Thanks for the replies guys!
            if you can come up with a method that is repeatable you may be able to sell it to smaller ones.
            What about making a cloud based interface they can use to input the information and have it spit out analytics at the back end? That could be a nice little business once you get a few customers using it.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
            X