• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

TP-Link Deco Mesh system and Virgin Media Super Hub 3

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TP-Link Deco Mesh system and Virgin Media Super Hub 3

Been struggling with Virgin Media Hub's poor Wifi for years. Finally decided to do something. Tried ASUS AX82U (£179) but didn't see much improvement. Returned it.

Managed to find a deal and just ordered a "TP-Link Deco S4(3-pack) AC1200 Whole-Home Mesh Wi-Fi System", paid only £89.

Looking at the setup options. For better performance, some say VM Hub should be in modem mode + Deco in Router Mode, some say VM Hub in router mode + Deco as Access Point.

Does any one here use this product? If so, what's your recommendation? What cable is supplied with it (CAT6/CAT7/CAT8)?
    Last edited by BigDataPro; 18 February 2021, 12:28.

Or try both and see which works best?

Trying to remember what I did when I ditched the wifi off the Sky router and used my own wifi access point instead (some Netgear thingummy as I didn't need mesh). I'm no longer with them so I can't just log in and check.

Having had a very quick and cursory Google to refresh my memory, I had the Sky supplied router configured as a router only and disabled wifi. I then had a wired connection to my Netgear device and had it set in Access Point mode with the gateway being the internal address of the router.

I seem to recall the router being on 192.168.0.1 and the wifi access point (as the primary connection for all wired and wireless devices) was on 192.168.1.1. DHCP was served from the Netgear device.

I'm guessing VM would be a similar set up.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
      Been struggling with Virgin Media Hub's poor Wifi for years. Finally decided to do something. Tried ASUS AX82U (£179) but didn't see much improvement. Returned it.

Managed to find a deal and just ordered a "TP-Link Deco S4(3-pack) AC1200 Whole-Home Mesh Wi-Fi System", paid only £89.

Looking at the setup options. For better performance, some say VM Hub should be in modem mode + Deco in Router Mode, some say VM Hub in router mode + Deco as Access Point.

Does any one here use this product? If so, what's your recommendation? What cable is supplied with it (CAT6/CAT7/CAT8)?
      Treat the virgin hub as a modem and get the wi-fi system to do the actual work.

But why you are wasting money on cheap solutions is beyond me - spend some money and get something that would work either UniFi 6 Lite Access Point – Ubiquiti Store Europe or something like NETGEAR Nighthawk Whole Home Mesh WiFi 6 System MK63 - AX1800 Router with 2 Satellite Extender, Coverage Up to 3,250 sq ft and 25+ Devices: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

I have the older business version of the netgear's solution and it just works offering 400mb around the whole (rather large) house.

I also previously had BT's home hub solution (the round ones) and while they (just about worked) they weren't any real cop.
      Last edited by eek; 18 February 2021, 14:18.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Came back to add these NETGEAR Orbi Whole Home Dual Band Mesh Wi-Fi 6 System (RBK352) Router with 1 Satellite Extender , Coverage upto 2,500 sq. ft. and 30+ Devices , AX1800 Wi-Fi 6 (Up to 1.8 Gbps): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories as they supposedly the next model up but the same price.

Comment

I have virgin business and while thet is an impovemed router over the home one its still eft wanting for coverage.

I have put the router in modem mode and use these Deco P9 | AC1200 + AV1000 Whole Home Hybrid Mesh Wi-Fi System | TP-Link United Kingdom. Wifi 5g backbone but also PSC fall back.

You can also run data cables between them if required. This will be how the home office network connects for a much more improved connection in a few weeks so will report back.

Added bonus is you can black list the kids devices when from an app when they refuse to get off consoles.
          Last edited by BlueSharp; 19 February 2021, 11:54.
          Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
            I have virgin business and while thet is an impovemed router over the home one its still eft wanting for coverage.

I have put the router in modem mode and use these Deco P9 | AC1200 + AV1000 Whole Home Hybrid Mesh Wi-Fi System | TP-Link United Kingdom. Wifi 5g backbone but also PSC fall back.

You can also run data cables between them if required. This will be how the home office network connects for a much more improved connection in a few weeks so will report back.

Added bonus is you can black list the kids devices when from an app when they refuse to get off consoles.
            Thank you. That's what I am planning to do. Put it in modem mode and Deco will become router. I have ordered

1. Deco S4 (3 pack)- found a deal for £99 at hotukdeals . Got £10 more discount for downloading Amazon App and using for the 1st time. So, paid only £89 as opposed to £128+.

2. CAT-7e ethernet cable

3. Unmanaged network switch to support multiple ethernet connections such as Hue, Powerline etc.

Will be setting it up today. Fingers crossed

Comment

Thank you. That's what I am planning to do. Put it in modem mode and Deco will become router. I have ordered

1. Deco S4 (3 pack)- found a deal for £99 at hotukdeals . Got £10 more discount for downloading Amazon App and using for the 1st time. So, paid only £89 as opposed to £128+.

2. CAT-7e ethernet cable

3. Unmanaged network switch to support multiple ethernet connections such as Hue, Powerline etc.

Will be setting it up today. Fingers crossed
              The Deco being the router offers not only the black listing of device but you can also content filter traffic by device if required. Having it as an extention to virgin router in access point point worked fine as well but I did not need 4 AP in the house! I don't think you get the guest wifi network either in AP mode.

We average 20 devices connected each day (Smart Home) and never had an issue.
              Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Update:

This kit is wonderful. I used to get only up to 60-70Mbps upstairs on Wi-Fi. Now I am getting 180Mbps easily. I haven't even installed the other 2 Nodes yet.

Worth it.

Comment

Update:

This kit is wonderful. I used to get only up to 60-70Mbps upstairs on Wi-Fi. Now I am getting 180Mbps easily. I haven't even installed the other 2 Nodes yet.

Worth it.
                  Glad to hear it - my concern was whenever I've used Tp-link things before they've been crap..

Comment

Working...
                  X