• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Broadband - how much is too much?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm on an uncapped BT business contract that includes the phone line. It's not cheap (about £55 a month all in) but I had to switch to BT as it was the only way to keep my phone number when I moved away from Sky to get a service with a fixed IP. Apparently I'm getting 80 mbps down and 20 up.

Comment

Thanks Guys,

I'm not after anything fancy, and my business won't be dependant on it for too much longer (retirement beckons), so Plusnet or the BT package is looking promising.

The cap is because I've been with my supplier when such things were the norm. Their service has been good so I didn't want to move to a potentially worse service, but I need to make the move now.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I've been with BT since i moved 3 years ago.
        had no problems with the service, and the wifi range is excellent, even without the repeaters.
        (i live in a two bed flat though)

Comment

Are you saying at some point you will not need broadband at all?

You can get rolling monthly 'contracts' that don't tie you in for the 18-24 months most deals expect:
          No-Contract And Short Term Broadband Deals | broadbandchoices

It'll make it easier to switch to a cheaper service if you think you'll need it for less than a year.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            Are you saying at some point you will not need broadband at all?

You can get rolling monthly 'contracts' that don't tie you in for the 18-24 months most deals expect:
            No-Contract And Short Term Broadband Deals | broadbandchoices

It'll make it easier to switch to a cheaper service if you think you'll need it for less than a year.
            No, not at all!

I just don't need to spend £40+ pm on such things for a rock-solid service. Up to £30 pm on Broadband and line rental will be good enough for me.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

Virgin Business Broadband. £32 a month for 350MB download and 8MB upload, unlimited data.

Accountant was even happy for me to expense it through the business.
              Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
                Virgin Business Broadband. £32 a month for 350MB download and 8MB upload, unlimited data.

Accountant was even happy for me to expense it through the business.
                I'm not surprised - I'd probably send any more via the postie...

Edit: oh, /s I s'pose...

Comment

We've had Sky for four years, no limits, no problems. Only time the line dropped, they have their own tool to diagnose and fix. Less than £30 a month.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

See which providers and speed (FTTC/FTTP) your exchange supports then compare their prices for normal 'unlimited as long as you don't take the piss' broadband offering typically under £25/month inc landline for decent speed fibre (FTTC), though with 18 month contracts now common.

Can usually pay a bit more a month for shorter or 1 month notice contracts, or go for something like Smarty 'unlimited' 4g mobile data sim and a mifi unit for around £20/month with no contract if not really needing the landline and can get decent Three mobile signal, as Smarty are their budget offering similar to how PlusNet is to BT.
                    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

If it's a choice between PlusNet and BT I'd go for PlusNet - even though they're owned by BT - because:-

a) their call centre(s) is/are in this country
                      b) they don't work from a script so you don't have to go through the "yes, I've tried turning it off and on again" nonsense

And you could always use me as a referrer so I get a 50p/month discount

Comment

Working...
                      X