• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Open Source Network Monitor?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
    In my client supplied laptop, Citrix keeps complaining "Connection Lost" and after few seconds "Connection restored".

I'm not a network guy, so I have little clue. Could it be because my Internet connection is dropping every now and then that I am noticing only now?

Are there any open source monitors that can be used to identify these drops, so that I can complain to Virgin?
    Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
    Thanks

Couple of years ago, I invested in Powerline Wifi access point or something as recommended by VirginMedia - NETGEAR PLW1000-100UKS 1000 Mbps Powerline Ethernet Wifi Adapter Homeplug Access Point, 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz 802.11 b/g/n/a, (1 Gigabit Ethernet Port): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories. Will it become a complete waste now?
    The original issue could be that that laptop was using 2.4 GHz which is prone to interference from devices such as microwave ovens etc. In any even, any serious work should be done via cable only.

Drops and grey-outs are invariably caused on the wifi side, not the ISP side.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
      The original issue could be that that laptop was using 2.4 GHz which is prone to interference from devices such as microwave ovens etc. In any even, any serious work should be done via cable only.

Drops and grey-outs are invariably caused on the wifi side, not the ISP side.
      Most definitely true. ISP do of course have outages, but these tend to be hours or days in duration. Dropouts in the seconds or minutes time frame are invariably at the router / wifi. Good quality CAT 7 cable and 99.9% of these issues are resolved.
      First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Working...
      X