• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting back to work as IT consultant after career break of 3 years

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting back to work as IT consultant after career break of 3 years

I was working as IT consultant but had to take a break due to personal reasons.

I could not do much during this break but recently started the prep by going through online courses. I am continuing on the tech stack I was last working on : JavaScript, NodeJS, Express, React.

I plan to start my job hunt in Jan and open to both permanent and contracting. I understand there is an IR 35 issue but hoping I can get into contracting and manage for few months (this will be first time I will be trying out contracting though).

Is there any Christmas time IT developer or support jobs that are either part time, full time, night shift? Working from home would be ideal or around london would also be ok and preferably in my technology areas. I did look at the job portals but could not find any such opportunities.

I also have keen interest in picking up skills in Affiliate marketing, Freelance web/app developer.

Are there any useful MeetUps that would help me in my current situation?

Appreciate any help and guidance. Thank you in advance.

Best Regards,
    Stit

3 years ago, contracts were plentiful and top doller, now you will be completing with 500 desperate top contractors for same role for tulipty rates inside IR35 , to save a long thread

Just forget the idea completely it’s a non starter

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

I once had a job in my local PC World, as it was then, over Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        I once had a job in my local PC World, as it was then, over Christmas.
        Was it anything to do with software development/support or just a salesman job ?

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
          3 years ago, contracts were plentiful and top doller, now you will be completing with 500 desperate top contractors for same role for tulipty rates inside IR35 , to save a long thread

Just forget the idea completely it’s a non starter
          If 3 years out of the game makes you a non-starter, where does it leave an like me who left the IT world 13 years ago?

I guess I'll have to settle for a part-time job at B&Q or collecting trolleys at the local Tesco.
          Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by stit View Post
            I was working as IT consultant but had to take a break due to personal reasons.

I could not do much during this break
            but recently started the prep by going through online courses. I am continuing on the tech stack I was last working on : JavaScript, NodeJS, Express, React.

I plan to start my job hunt in Jan and open to both permanent and contracting. I understand there is an IR 35 issue but hoping I can get into contracting and manage for few months (this will be first time I will be trying out contracting though).

Is there any Christmas time IT developer or support jobs that are either part time, full time, night shift? Working from home would be ideal or around london would also be ok and preferably in my technology areas. I did look at the job portals but could not find any such opportunities.

I also have keen interest in picking up skills in Affiliate marketing, Freelance web/app developer.

Are there any useful MeetUps that would help me in my current situation?

Appreciate any help and guidance. Thank you in advance.

Best Regards,
            Stit

As others have said, breaking into contracting will be very challenging in the current market. However, even getting back into a perm role will be difficult.

As someone who has done a lot of hiring in the past, I'm generally sympathetic to people who have taken extended breaks e.g. maternity/paternity leave, sabbatical and so on. However, you'll find a lot of hiring managers and HR advisers will be quite biased against looking at a CV from someone who has been out of the market so long.

Without knowing your full circumstances, being away for three years in technology is an eternity and things can change so much. You mentioned you couldn't do much during those three years but you should expect to be asked 'so what have you been doing the last few years?' Your answer might put off a lot of people in the hiring process.

There's also a perceived risk, rightly or wrongly, that after not working for such a long time, you won't be 'job fit.' Why take a risk with you when there are probably lots of qualified and very experienced people who are available. You also mention that you're looking to pick up skills in 'Affiliate marketing, Freelance web/app developer.' If you're not already skilled in those areas, no one will be looking to hire you as a contractor to do those things.

You might have to lower your sights and start again in a fairly junior role.

Good luck in your search, January is generally a decent time to start looking for a new role but a lot of people also come onto the market after making a new year resolution to change job.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
              As someone who has done a lot of hiring in the past...
              What would tempt you to give someone a chance?

If they offered to work as a volunteer, with no pay, for a trial period of say a couple of months?
              Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
                If 3 years out of the game makes you a non-starter, where does it leave an like me who left the IT world 13 years ago?

I guess I'll have to settle for a part-time job at B&Q or collecting trolleys at the local Tesco.
                What makes you think you would get a job over someone with trolly collection experience ?

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                  What makes you think you would get a job over someone with trolly collection experience ?
                  Well, obviously, I'd have to hope that no-one with any experience applied. Also, I've got a degree, which seems to be a tick in the box for just about any old crappy job these days. And, actually, I can do one better because I've got a masters (albeit not in trolly collection).

If I can't get a job, I've got some tatty old clothes, so there's always begging on the streets. This seems to be quite lucrative if you pick well-to-do places.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
                    Well, obviously, I'd have to hope that no-one with any experience applied. Also, I've got a degree, which seems to be a tick in the box for just about any old crappy job these days. And, actually, I can do one better because I've got a masters (albeit not in trolly collection).

If I can't get a job, I've got some tatty old clothes, so there's always begging on the streets. This seems to be quite lucrative if you pick well-to-do places.
                    A masters these days is as useful as a fart in a space suit as dated and completely irrelevant to what employers/clients actually want

Unless you want to teach, then it might be handy

How would your masters benefit a client?

Comment

Working...
                    X