• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

hard drive woes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No dice. Worth a shot though. I've bought a new laptop and SATA to USB cable to try and recover data from the old drive.

Comment

Originally posted by sludgesurfer View Post
      No dice. Worth a shot though. I've bought a new laptop and SATA to USB cable to try and recover data from the old drive.
      Can you think of anything adverse that happened to the laptop prior to it failing eg. exposure to cold, damp, sea air? Was it a while since you'd previously rebooted it?

If you can't manage to recover the data using the new laptop, you could try
      Last edited by DealorNoDeal; 19 December 2019, 14:51.
      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
        Can you think of anything adverse that happened to the laptop prior to it failing eg. exposure to cold, damp, sea air? Was it a while since you'd previously rebooted it?

If you can't manage to recover the data using the new laptop, you could try
        It asked me to do some sort of windows update and restart. I said OK & left it running overnight. The next day the screen was lit but nothing was showing. Being in somewhat of a rush I buttoned it and its never managed to boot since.

Comment

Originally posted by sludgesurfer View Post
          It asked me to do some sort of windows update and restart. I said OK & left it running overnight. The next day the screen was lit but nothing was showing. Being in somewhat of a rush I buttoned it and its never managed to boot since.
          From what I've read it's just possible that it's not the hard drive itself, and it could be windows update that's messed things up. Unfortunately, unless you've got an alternative boot device, you can't run chkdsk /r as described here:

HP Laptop Hard Drive Short DST Failed [Quick Fix]

Fingers crossed, you will be able to access the drive from the new laptop. Good luck.
          Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
            From what I've read it's just possible that it's not the hard drive itself, and it could be windows update that's messed things up. Unfortunately, unless you've got an alternative boot device, you can't run chkdsk /r as described here:

HP Laptop Hard Drive Short DST Failed [Quick Fix]

Fingers crossed, you will be able to access the drive from the new laptop. Good luck.
            I had a similar problem here when a Windows update failed to complete and then was unable to roll itself back. It kept trying to reboot, but never made it past the Windows logo before rebooting again. I had to use a Linux boot disk/USB to get me into the machine in order to recover/back-up the personal files and then reinstall Windows from a recovery USB stick that I'd built from another machine. Total PITA, but it has worked and the "broken" laptop is now working again.

Good luck... I guess that we know what you'll be doing with your two weeks at home.
            ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
            Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Windows update

That's another reason why I've disabled the fecker:

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...dows-10-a.html

Comment

Try booting from a Windows 10 install or recovery disc* and see if it gives you the repair option, which should sort out any issues caused by Windows update.

*If need to download it then the Microsoft Media Creation Tool will give you the option of creating a disc or USB boot drive.
                Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Afternoon - Maybe post a rough location, someone close enough might be able to help? Certainly if your close Ill happily have a look

Looking at the model of your laptop it has a normal SATA hard drive, and as you have windows 10 its unlikley to be encrypted.

I'd whip the hard drive out and plug it into another PC with one of these :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/28368918782...8aAvKxEALw_wcB

Probably your best bet.

Though if the drive has properly failed then you might just have to accept the loss

Comment

Thankyou all for your kind suggestions. The festive spirit is alive and well on Cuk.

Hopefully the new laptop plugged into the old drive should do the trick. Unfortunately, in addition to a broken laptop, I now have a broken helicopter so can't get off to find out. If anyone happens to be passing the Shetlands, can you stop by the hangar in Sumburgh and provide some technical support to the guys trying to fix it? Much obliged.

Comment

I've seen numerous reports of Windows 10 updates recently stuffing up systems. The quality is down, and worryingly there are unanswered questions on the Ms Forums spanning several months.

Firstly, from a distance is does sound like the hard disk is starting to fail. You would expect a few BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) as the beginning of the pains.

In reality this is a good lesson in backing up. You should have everything important to you stored off the machine in cloud storage such as Dropbox, Google Drive or whatever.

Before you do anything, get your house in order with regards to this. Then you are not chained to one machine. It could fail, and you could have a new one mailed to you at the rig and not worry. The kind of freedom this kind of discipline brings cannot be overstated.

I wish you all the best.

Suity

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
                      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                      X