• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Google showing mobile version of web page on desktop

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google showing mobile version of web page on desktop

Title about covers it. Search for my website and see a couple of pages listed but links are direct to the mobile version. Anyone clicking the Google link is going to the mobile page (designed for under 720px) which looks pretty carp on a desktop.

In the google page it has:

href="http://www.gatekeeperel.co.uk/mobile/guides.php?view=mobile"

That is a link provided on the website desktop page as a fallback just in case the automatic directs to the mobile page hasn't worked.

Any ideas why Google would use a link from the page rather than the page address?

Cheers
    Last edited by xoggoth; 1 October 2018, 12:26.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Title about covers it. Search for my website and see a couple of pages listed but links are direct to the mobile version. Anyone clicking the Google link is going to the mobile page (designed for under 720px) which looks pretty carp on a desktop.

In the google page it has:

href="http://www.gatekeeperel.co.uk/mobile/guides.php?view=mobile"

That is a link provided on the website desktop page as a fallback just in case the automatic directs to the mobile page hasn't worked.

Any ideas why Google would use a link from the page rather than the page address?

Cheers
    Just guessing, the mobile/guides.php is in your sitemap.xml and in the robots.txt you don't disallow that url and you said you have pages linking to that url. So I guess I should ask why would it not appear?

Don't want to be captain hindsight but why not use something like Bootstrap and just have responsive pages? Your layout looks really straightforward, probably something that would take a couple of hours.

Comment

Cheers OH! Why didn't I think of that. Doh!

Yes the Sitemap does have the URL with the ?view=mobile on it. Thought sitemap just showed the actual pages linked to rather than copying links in full with arguments. I'll check it next time I get Google to create one.

Dunno about Bootstrap. All these standard libraries might save time until summit goes wrong, then you are delving through umpteen megabytes of irrelevant code to find the problem. Prefer doing my own succinct code.
      Last edited by xoggoth; 1 October 2018, 13:11.
      bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Cheers OH! Why didn't I think of that. Doh!

Yes the Sitemap does have the URL with the ?view=mobile on it. Thought sitemap just showed the actual pages linked to rather than copying links in full with arguments. I'll check it next time I get Google to create one.

Dunno about Bootstrap. All these standard libraries might save time until summit goes wrong, then you are delving through umpteen megabytes of irrelevant code to find the problem. Prefer doing my own succinct code.
        Fair enough about Bootstrap, just a suggestion so you don't have to maintain a mobile version of your website.

Comment

Hmmm. sitemap was generated by free sitemap generator. As far as I can tell, a sitemap should be a list of pages, not a list of every link. Probably other stuff that should not be in sitemap and and blocked by robots.txt, terms and conditions pages etc. Will need to edit it manually. Trying to improve SEO, our sales have really dropped this year.

Anyway, ta again wh!
          Last edited by xoggoth; 1 October 2018, 16:28.
          bloggoth

Comment

Working...
          X