• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Prince2 for A level student?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    pretty much this ^^^^^^

When I did PII the foundation was multiple guess so a total piece of p*ss.
    The practitioner was written so you had to actually understand it. Similarly most other people on the course were thick as mince, and completely failed to understand the abstract concept of product based planning so they all failed. If NLUKs youngest is reasonably academic (maths and physics A level suggest so) then he/she'd be able to both (foundation and practitioner) in a week without any project experience.
    It's not really the project experience he's missing. It's the business experience. The acronyms and business speak is just going to make his head spin, let alone the course. I don't mind if he didn't pass it, just to get some keywords on his CV and some knowledge for the interview but if he can't grasp the business wording he wouldn't be able to relay it back in an interview. Might plump for the Foundation sometime in the future though. Concentrating on the Acad line at the moment. Being a student he gets the software for free so a useful start.

EDIT: I do wonder if #1 child were working as a full time member of staff for NLUK LTD. whether the company could pay for the course......
    Being 17 has it's challenges around employment let alone trying to justify it and even if I could be bothered it couldn't because it's a new skill so didn't even consider going down that route.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Is it that he wants to get into Project Management?
      If so I would weigh up the choice between Prince2 and Agile.
      I have found quite often that private sector are adopting Agile a lot of frequently the P2.
      P2 is still only very much within Public Sector.

Comment

Originally posted by wparkar View Post
        Is it that he wants to get into Project Management?
        If so I would weigh up the choice between Prince2 and Agile.
        I have found quite often that private sector are adopting Agile a lot of frequently the P2.
        P2 is still only very much within Public Sector.
        He wants to get in to something around building. Civil engineering, chartered surveyor etc. He's not sure at the moment but Cad and PM methodology should help get to interviews on top of his A levels. It's just an exercise to look one better than the next guy to secure a better apprenticeship than actually instill any skills if that makes sense.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Rather than look at a PM course he should maybe look at doing Product Management/BA - which is more on the digital/agile side of things.

This seems to be a lot more assessable to younger people and does not rely on an ability to kiss ass and play the politics game (mainly because rather than look at business wants you look at user/customer needs - and so that finance director who insists he wants a suite of reports no one will ever use to make himself look important can literally go **** himself)

But ....

Comment

I done Prince2 Foundation myself when I was about 23 & found it was a good intro to project management and didn't think it was too difficult even with no previous experience. I then studied Agile Certified Practitioner which was quite a good course... there's plenty of courses out there like PMP & Scrum Master, it often depends what he enjoys and wants to get into.

Comment

Working...
            X