• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Microdirect Returns

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Microdirect Returns

I had a video card which failed recently. It was bought in May and so was within its 12 months warranty. I took it back on Sunday. Because I have had it for longer than 30 days, microdirect have told me that they have to send it back to the manufacturers for replacement or repair. This can take up to 30 working days!! So for upto 6 weeks I'll be down a PC. Is this normal? I bought it off them, so my contract of sale is with them. They should replace the good or offer a refund rather than pass the problem onto their supplier and they should look to their supplier to refund them. They say that they are covered by their terms and conditions.

I'll definately be checking the terms and conditions when purchasing in the future!
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Yep. Most places have a iside 30 sent it to us, after to the manufacturer.

Broadbandbuyer.co.uk do it as well. I think some of the larger ones dont (ebuyer) etc but it depends on what you buy. If its a sealed unit (screens etc) they usually go straight to manu anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
      I had a video card which failed recently. It was bought in May and so was within its 12 months warranty. I took it back on Sunday. Because I have had it for longer than 30 days, microdirect have told me that they have to send it back to the manufacturers for replacement or repair. This can take up to 30 working days!! So for upto 6 weeks I'll be down a PC. Is this normal? I bought it off them, so my contract of sale is with them. They should replace the good or offer a refund rather than pass the problem onto their supplier and they should look to their supplier to refund them. They say that they are covered by their terms and conditions.

I'll definately be checking the terms and conditions when purchasing in the future!
      I had the same with a failed PSU last year. Microdirect wouldn't touch it, even though it was still under warranty (< 3 months old). I bought a new one and vowed never to use them again, and also to slag them off at every available opportunity.
      I did remember thinking at the time, how come they were quite a bit cheaper than Dabs etc? Well they don't waste money on a customer service department, for a start.
      The best bit was, when I eventually got an email reply from them, they wanted the faulty item returned in the original packaging, or it would be sent back (that's actually in their Ts & Cs - "Pack the items carefully. All items must be complete with original packaging, manuals, disks, cables etc as originally supplied. You will need to use a label which has the RMA number clearly written on it. Do NOT write directly on the box or packaging (with pen/ink). Using a label ensure our full address is clearly displayed on the outside of the package. Seal the packaging using a similar method as per the original delivery. Any items returned to us (Micro Direct Ltd.) that have been packaged inadequately or irresponsibly may be rejected.
      Please return to the following address.")

So if you do buy anything from MicroDirect (and I strongly suggest you don't) do remember to keep all the packaging. And if anything fails under warranty, you're on your own. They're cheap for a reason.
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac
        I did remember thinking at the time, how come they were quite a bit cheaper than Dabs etc? Well they don't waste money on a customer service department, for a start.
        and Dabs customer service is only by email and will argue the toss until trading standards jump up and down on them.
        Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

I think most web based cheap places are the same.

Wasnt it Alexei who sued dabs some time ago?

Comment

Spoke to consumer direct today and they say that the supplier should take reasonable steps and that as far as they are concerned, 30 working days is not reasonable. Also, suggested I speak to the credit card company as the value of the video card was just over £100 so they have a jointly liable thing also.

Tried callming microdirect but they do not pick up the phone on the returns desk. Left it ringing for 25 minutes. Will stuck to local suppliers in future - that way I can drop in rather than trecking into Manchester when things go the shape of a pear.
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
            X