• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Picking up coding again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picking up coding again

Hi all,

I have a history of coding HTML/CSS/JS/SQL/ASP/C# but stopped round about .net 2.0, so quite some time ago.

I’ve got an idea for a Plan B project, and I’d like to knock up something of a proof of concept, ideally running on OSX. It’s not a tremendously complex concept but will require detecting when various devices are connected / disconnected via USB.

Does anyone have any pointers for how to start? I’m not looking to produce any code that goes into production.

Thanks!

If it’s not for production use WTF is it for?
    Or do you have a different definition of production?
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

you may need to look at languages which have interfaces to the base OS

Comment

You can run .net core on OS X and use Visual studio. So you could at least leverage your c#.

I’ve never tried it though so take it for what’s its worth.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          If it’s not for production use WTF is it for?
          Or do you have a different definition of production?
          My definition of production is release to the App Store. I want to build a proof of concept cheaply, so I can get a feel for what’s possible without having to code for too many edge cases etc, and then if that goes well, get the app properly developed by someone that actually knows what they are doing.

I know there are other ways of prototyping, but I’m seeing it as a bit of a learning exercise for me too.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
            You can run .net core on OS X and use Visual studio. So you could at least leverage your c#.

I’ve never tried it though so take it for what’s its worth.
            Yeah I saw that was an option, thanks. I wonder how much of it I’d remember

Comment

Out of interest why is this plan only for the Mac?

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                Out of interest why is this plan only for the Mac?
                If it takes off it’ll be cross-platform, I wanted to write the proof of concept app on a Mac because I have a Mac

Comment

Originally posted by meanttobeworking View Post
                  If it takes off it’ll be cross-platform, I wanted to write the proof of concept app on a Mac because I have a Mac
                  Hah I asked a stupid question sorry, makes sense now.
                  Good luck with the prototype!

Comment

Visual studio community edition is free, so I'd start by downloading that. That should be plenty for you to get your PoC off the ground.

Comment

Working...
                    X