• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Akka.Net

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Akka.Net

Hi guys,

I have a mind of investing some time into Akka.Net. It looks interesting for building message-based distributed systems. But then again I think there are already cloud-based message buses all around. I understand they are not completely interchangeable and can work together but still haven't decided if this would be a good use of my time.

Business-wise, I don't see many ads looking for this framework in particular.

What do you think? Is it something you worked with before and would recommend/not recommend? Would it be a good skill to have?

Thanks.

If you have demonstrable experience and a client that needs it then yes it would be a good skill to have.

HTH
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Never heard of it, could mean I'm not working in the right industry, but could also mean there isn't much of a contract market for it.

Out of interest what problem does it solve?

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
        Never heard of it, could mean I'm not working in the right industry, but could also mean there isn't much of a contract market for it.

Out of interest what problem does it solve?
        It's a .NET port of Apache Akka, written in Java, and is an implementation of the Actor model/pattern. Mostly used for highly distributed, highly concurrent systems.

Comment

The concepts there are probably more important than the particular implementation.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            The concepts there are probably more important than the particular implementation.
            Agreed. Another implementation of the Actor model on the .NET platform is Microsoft's Project Orleans.

Comment

Thanks, guys. Good points. So I guess I should have asked about whether or not Actor Model is adopted in the industry or not rather than Akka.net.

It looks cool and nice but never worked in a company that actually uses it. Anyway, I guess I'll get my hands dirty a little bit and spend some time to discover more about it so that I can decide to go deeper or leave it alone altogether.

Any opinions regarding the state of actor model in the industry is still welcome.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X