• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

domain name registration

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many thanks Dead, that was very useful.

I will be looking at hosting at a later date but for now it is simply domain registration and what to look out for.

Comment

I use 123reg as well, it must be said that they have a very good admin panel that enables you to set up sub-domains quickly and easily which a surprising amount of people don't have.

If you decide you want hosting i'll quite happily pimp my wares to you

Comment

I use 123reg for my registration. I used to use uk2.net which seem to be a little cheaper, but the options for redirection from 123 was much better than the last time I registered with uk2. I'm currently waiting for one of my old domains to expire with uk2 so I can re-register it through 123reg, as the email redirection is so much better.

For my .com registration, I use my hosting service PowWeb.com who offer a free .com registration if you register for one year or more. I've got three .com's through them with no problems (so far...)

HTH,

Faqqer
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

123reg all the way

used uk2 but they charge £19 for moving a domain aw3ay
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

123-reg current promotion

123-reg have got a promotion on at the moment for domain registration. Check out this thread on the MoneySavingExpert.com forums.

Faqqer
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

It looks like I will be going with 123reg.

I was going to get .com and .co.uk. Do I really need to secure any others and which ones would other advise?

I certainly wouldn't be interested in a domain name that didn't have .com and .co.uk avaliable so should I really be worried about .eu or .biz?

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeHopper
                It looks like I will be going with 123reg.

I was going to get .com and .co.uk. Do I really need to secure any others and which ones would other advise?

I certainly wouldn't be interested in a domain name that didn't have .com and .co.uk avaliable so should I really be worried about .eu or .biz?
                I would say .eu would probably be worthwhile as it could well take of in the next couple of years, also gives you a shorter URL to type in. Most people grab .org and .net as well and depending on what you do .tv can always be useful.

I wouldn't bother with .ltd.uk or .org.uk etc nobody really cares about them.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran
                  used uk2 but they charge £19 for moving a domain aw3ay
                  and that's the thing. You own the domain and according to the rules you should have full say what happens to it and no one should charge any fee for transferring away. As I say, if you are administrative contact then if you put in a transfer request with another registrar the email goes to you, and you authorise it.

Transfer 'in' fees are another matter though, but often there are offers on for a free transfer.

Actually looking at Nominet's site they seem to have a £10 fee to move 'agent' (registrar I assume) in situations where the agent is unwilling to transfer it, so if they are charging a high fee this may be an option.

Originally posted by Ardesco
                  I wouldn't bother with .ltd.uk or .org.uk etc nobody really cares about them.
                  There are stricter rules on them anyway. Ltd requires you to be a Ltd company, and org.uk requires you to be an organisation (non-profit ?).

.co.uk though supposedly set up for companies has no real limit on who can register, though they will associate them with a company if you like.
                  Last edited by DeadKenny; 7 December 2006, 15:22.

Comment

All done now - .com, .co.uk, .net and .eu.

Used 123-reg.

Many thanks for your advise.

Comment

Working...
                    X