• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Weird iMac prob

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird iMac prob

Out of warranty yonks ago, no AppleCare any more either....

Late 2013 iMac, 27 ret., 32gb ram, fusion disk from 128gb SSD, 3.0TB 3.5" HDD all built to order from Apple.

Been great until it started slowing down, dicked about with it for ages, narrowed it down to HDD. Split the fusion disk, installed to SSD only - flies.....

Formatted and mounted HDD as separate drive, all ok, formats and mounts no issue. But writes to it takes ages, like kb/s really slow. SMART says all ok (I know that's no real guide) but checks out as 100% fine with bootable disk utilities and Apple Diags - all 100%.

Just slow af.

So seems 3.0tb HDD is foobared, but it checks out 100%, odd.

Reported to Apple, they are helpful as usual even out of warranty, and I can probs get it fixed under EU fit for purpose rules, but before I do that I thought I'd ask here for stuff to try....

Have you tried throwing it away and buying a dell inspiron?

Comment

Well you have USB3 ports so maybe try to boot off external SSD drive and the compare to your Fusion placed in a USB housing.

Comment

Point them at this:

https://www.macrumors.com/2015/06/19...ement-program/

They replaced mine for free out of warranty.
        And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

They've already said they'd replace it sort of (like if I've not fooked it myself) just I'm in Ireland with it, but bought it from UK...

Can wait till I get home, tmrw ferry permitting - finished now here

Would like to have sorted it myself tho - sure it's actually ok..

Comment

Working...
          X