• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone got Mesh Wifi at home?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So each disc/hotspot gives a comparable performance/range to a regular router like what your ISP gives for free, approximately? Not bad.

I needed to make a fast decision as my HomeHub was crapping out and got a TPLink VR900 IIRC... I'll wait on Mesh becoming less early-adopter by which time I might have a need for wifi in the garage and garden rooms.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Perhaps the question shouldn't be "has anyone got one?", rather "does anyone regret buying one?"

I don't know anyone who has said "it wasn't worth it".
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        It seems to me the ONLY thing you gain is seamless WiFi. And it IS that pricey. £100 minimum per hotspot for N hotspots plus a router/modem when a simple AP is £20-30 and you still get to use your router so you need N-1 extenders.
        I'm not sure if the mesh tech is that much more complex or it's just pricey 'cos it's new.
        GL with not having to restart these £20-30 APs on a daily basis and getting any half decent throughput 5" away from them. Even more so being constantly nagged by the wife/kids that the WiFi is broken...

Most vendors sell "kits" of 3 APs at least one of them being a router for around £300 - this can cover 3 story house + garden/garage in most cases. You call that pricey?

The tech behind mesh is not that expensive, but the kit currently on the market comes with high ends specs in terms of number of antennas, throughput intelligent band steering etc. "Build your own" router + WiFi extenders with the same specs will cost roughly the same

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        from what I can tell 'mesh' is purely a marketing term for multiple access points, with the same SSID and linked together.

In the old days you'd get multiple Cisco APs setup identically (except IP/hostname), all wired to the same VLAN and spread them round the building.
        Later Cisco APs, with 2 radios, could be used with one radio linked to the nearest other AP as a bridge, and the 2nd radio doing SSID. This 'mesh' appears to be the same as that.
        The device switching from one AP to another is not (or certainly wasn't) a function of the AP, rather it was the wireless NIC driver that determined.
        So for those trying to build this manually without expensive 'mesh enabled' devices try putting the APs closer so that the overlap is greater that way it should switch to the other AP while the weaker AP is still strong enough. Expect maybe 150-200ms dropout and TCP connections will carry on without dropping.
        It's not purely marketing, although you can say it's a buzz word for a functionality that already existed in the enterprise market for quite some time.

The important bit is that the individual APs "talk" to each other, thus able to seamlessly pass on sessions between them.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
          GL with not having to restart these £20-30 APs on a daily basis and getting any half decent throughput 5" away from them. Even more so being constantly nagged by the wife/kids that the WiFi is broken...

Most vendors sell "kits" of 3 APs at least one of them being a router for around £300 - this can cover 3 story house + garden/garage in most cases. You call that pricey?

The tech behind mesh is not that expensive, but the kit currently on the market comes with high ends specs in terms of number of antennas, throughput intelligent band steering etc. "Build your own" router + WiFi extenders with the same specs will cost roughly the same

It's not purely marketing, although you can say it's a buzz word for a functionality that already existed in the enterprise market for quite some time.

The important bit is that the individual APs "talk" to each other, thus able to seamlessly pass on sessions between them.
          WRT £300 kits, take a look at Ubiquiti. Their long Range device should be enough for a house on it's own.

Comment

Depends on the house surely? I'd be very sceptical that it would cover 3 floors and a garden office like my mesh setup does. Even if it does work, I suspect that the speed at the edges would be rubbish....
            And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
              Depends on the house surely? I'd be very sceptical that it would cover 3 floors and a garden office like my mesh setup does. Even if it does work, I suspect that the speed at the edges would be rubbish....
              Yes of course. I have more than one device but when running on a single LR AP which is located in the middle of the house I get plenty of signal even down the driveway. The house sited ones are all Ethernet wired but I do have one in the garage room (detached away from house) running over a homeplug as I don't have Ethernet there and the house based wifi was on the edge of reliability.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                I have some homeplugs which have WAP functionality, and a £15 Netgear repeater. They all work pretty well and don't need restarting. I can access even the cheap one from several rooms away. My wife is tech-savvy and we don't have kids though I'm sure they would understand it better than I did anyway

Yes because it is. You get a free router from your ISP or buy one for £50 and can get 3 more APs for little more. Even a Homeplug setup is considerably cheaper.

Will it balls. I just bought a VR900 which is not far off the top of TP-Link's range and far better than your bog-standard home-hub. It will have much better features than an individual mesh unit and cost £100, which is slightly less than most mesh units. I could buy 3 - which is utter overkill - for £300 and have far better coverage BUT no seamless meshy functionality.

I wonder if they'll start bringing this out as a more standard feature on regular routers and APs, and standardising (maybe via firmware updates)? It would be very cool.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I re-purposed a couple of old BT hubs as extra wifi access points. I've done it with a hub 1, hub 3, and hub 5, the last one also having 5 Ghz capability. Works fine.

Comment

Working...
                  X