• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best FREE VPN?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just wondering, if I want to mask/hide my IP, could I use TOR browser? Would that have the same effect?
    Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
      Just wondering, if I want to mask/hide my IP, could I use TOR browser? Would that have the same effect?
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tor_(a...rk)#Weaknesses

So not completely secure, so depends on what you are wanting to do with it?
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
        Anyone recommend one?
        I'd be careful with free (well any) VPN service.

I used HOLA for a while to watch US netflix and noticed that after I connected my mail server would start sending spam using authenticated user accounts.
        Turns out its partly my fault, I hadnt enabled SSL on the connection from my PC to the mail server so was sending the credentials out over the VPN.

Still that it only happened after I connected to the VPN (It happened a few times before I connected the two events) suggests that the traffic I sent over the VPN was being analysed.

This might be unrelated but my Netflix user name and password were also leaked during this period, I know because I googled my email address and they both came up on a list of compromised accounts on some dodgy Warez site.

If youre just browsing I'd second TOR, for the most part it lets you get round the various road blocks that are imposed on certain content over here (Yaaaar me hearties).

Comment

Originally posted by Snarf View Post
          If youre just browsing I'd second TOR, for the most part it lets you get round the various road blocks that are imposed on certain content over here (Yaaaar me hearties).
          Bingo
          Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
            A VPN you host yourself? As a lowly, thick engineer, I doubt I could set that up.
            Asus Routers come with Open VPN Server and very easy to setup since you don't have to mess around with setting up a DNS

Comment

Iplayer started bouncing NordVPN today.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
                Iplayer started bouncing NordVPN today.
                ExpressVPN still manage to defeat iPlayer, I dunno how, I was on support with them a week back (as iPlayer did stop working but for another reason) and the guy said they get round iPlayer easily, despite ip-blocking, wouldn't tell me how.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                  ExpressVPN still manage to defeat iPlayer, I dunno how, I was on support with them a week back (as iPlayer did stop working but for another reason) and the guy said they get round iPlayer easily, despite ip-blocking, wouldn't tell me how.
                  I use ExpressVPN which bounced Netflix when I joined over a month ago. I haven't bothered to do this yet but a thread on another forum suggests a live chat with ExpressVPN support on their site and they'll tell you which servers you can use that won't stop Netflix.

Comment

Originally posted by Laughing Gravy View Post
                    I use ExpressVPN which bounced Netflix when I joined over a month ago. I haven't bothered to do this yet but a thread on another forum suggests a live chat with ExpressVPN support on their site and they'll tell you which servers you can use that won't stop Netflix.
                    That's what I did with the issue I had - their support was very good.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                      Yes, that one came highly recommended. Extremely slow, useless for streaming. Blocked by Netflix, like all the others too.
                      I’m using NordVPN in the UK right now connected to a US endpoint and streaming Netflix without a problem.

Comment

Working...
                      X