• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best FREE VPN?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    I seriously recommend taking out a free trial before you pay. I found that even highly recommended providers hit my download speed by anything up to 90%. It was impossible to stream video and that was what I wanted the VPN for. Also note that I know of no VPN that allows access to Netflix UK from abroad. They are all blocked.
    Self hosted VPN allows me to watch anything I want from the UK when I am abroad
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I have nordvpn and use it for downloading and it’s not quick, it would struggle if I was streaming.

It was fairly low cost though

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
        I have nordvpn and use it for downloading and it’s not quick, it would struggle if I was streaming.

It was fairly low cost though
        Yes, that one came highly recommended. Extremely slow, useless for streaming. Blocked by Netflix, like all the others too.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          Self hosted VPN allows me to watch anything I want from the UK when I am abroad
          A VPN you host yourself? As a lowly, thick engineer, I doubt I could set that up.

Comment

A VPN you host yourself? As a lowly, thick engineer, I doubt I could set that up.
            Download VirtualBox on what ever platform you have at home and follow this step by step:

https://www.digitalocean.com/communi...n-ubuntu-14-04

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

This might be a reasonable alternative?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/i...ng-alternative
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                This might be a reasonable alternative?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/i...ng-alternative
                Isn't this what Slingbox is or was?

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  Isn't this what Slingbox is or was?
                  I thought Slingbox was a TV-oriented thing rather than something that gives you access to your home network. It used to be, but may have changed / rebranded etc.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Thanks for those suggestions. I will look at them later. I found Slingbox to be a good idea but rubbish in execution. I suspect technology has left the old style Slingbox back in the dark ages?

Comment

Originally posted by Grasser73 View Post
                      The built-in one in Opera works for me.

It's not a VPN. It is misnamed. It is a transparent proxy, that proxies traffic and also sends a unique user identifier. You are then tracked no matter which SurfEasyLtd regional proxy you use. When enabling this within the Opera web browser, it is simply redirecting traffic through your chosen region proxy. Hardly secure and not at all anonymous.

Don't use this. Your traffic is tracked. It isn't a VPN. Opera are also now owned by a Chinese company, whereas previously they were exclusively based and funded via bank accounts in Norway.

Avoid, avoid, avoid.

Comment

Working...
                      X