• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sat Nav with live traffic and speed camera data

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sat Nav with live traffic and speed camera data

Anyone recommend a Sat Nav solution that includes live traffic data (and speed camera location)?

I have found this from the AA

http://www.aanavigator.com/product/T...07+Traffic.htm

Which uses TMC (Traffic Message Channel). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_Message_Channel

Any others (e.g. Does Tom Tom have live re-routing when a traffic jam occurs without downloading costly data via GPRS or similar)?

And I thought this was a 5 star topic!

Comment

It was for me!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_Message_Channel

Any others (e.g. Does Tom Tom have live re-routing when a traffic jam occurs without downloading costly data via GPRS or similar)?
        TomTom relies on you subscribing to an update service and having GPRS available to update the information, not worth it IMHO.

TBH all I do is have TP turned on on the radio and listen for traffic warnings. If the route I'm taking looks like it will be held up I use the SatNav to route around that particular stretch. It's one of my favorite features on TomTom.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

My medion does TMC - free for life. Reroutes nicely, up to date from RAC.
          Got ability to download the speed camera stuff I think- but haven't yet
          Worked at the AA for a spell - one of the guys there had the AA software &kept having to reboot his device (PDA) He phoned up to complain & was told - that is the way it is - reboots are acceptable (even in the middle of your journey)

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
            If the route I'm taking looks like it will be held up I use the SatNav to route around that particular stretch. It's one of my favorite features on TomTom.
            Sounds like a useful feature - need to tell Garmin to include it the model I have!!

Comment

I can't seem to find one single sat nav product that does the following.

1. Good basic navigation inc full postcode
              2. Free traffic updates and auto-reroute via TMC
              3. Hands free phone via bluetooth
              4. Speed cameras

Crazy.

Comment

Speed cameras are easy. www.pocketgps.co.uk download the ov2 files (tomtom) or csv files (any other gps) and your sorted for the speed cameras.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
                  I can't seem to find one single sat nav product that does the following.

1. Good basic navigation inc full postcode
                  2. Free traffic updates and auto-reroute via TMC
                  3. Hands free phone via bluetooth
                  4. Speed cameras

Crazy.

It's the free bit you are going to struggle with. Everything else is doable.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Both the AA navigator unit and Navman N60i do free traffic updates via the TMC forever (I think there is a one off joining fee).

TomTom use pointless and expensive GPRS I think?

But then the others don't do Bluetooth hands free....

Comment

Working...
                    X