• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

F'ing PC keeps crashing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F'ing PC keeps crashing

I know this has prob been posted before (even by me) but I'm too p'ssed off to search.

An XP machine of mine keeps crashing for no obvious reason. i.e. It's not always at the same point booting up or running a particular prog. Are there any utils that I can download that will monitor things like CPU temp, memory status etc or software logging that can show the last think accessed before crashing?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

PL

When you say crash, do you mean locks solid, spontaneous reboot or blue screen or application error on the screen?

Comment

Do you still get blue screen.

I haven't seen one since I got XP

tim

Comment

That's because it's turned off by default. It just reboots.
        I was TheMonkey

Comment

No, it just shuts down or hangs. Found a previous thread that pointed towards a CPU monitor and it's just over heating. Will take the dyson to it tomorrow.

Comment

Check your memory. Memtest
            Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife
              I know this has prob been posted before (even by me) but I'm too p'ssed off to search.

An XP machine of mine keeps crashing for no obvious reason. i.e. It's not always at the same point booting up or running a particular prog. Are there any utils that I can download that will monitor things like CPU temp, memory status etc or software logging that can show the last think accessed before crashing?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

PL
              Asus do one (called Probe, iirc), but I assume it only works with Asus boards.
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Sorry, I'll get my coat......
                First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

I'd run memtest on it. Leave it running this overnight and check the results. That way you can at least rule out memory problems. If it fails and you have two mem sticks, try taking one out and repeat. You should then be able to determine if one or both have faults.

You can get things which monitor the temp of the CPU. Most of the boards I have had have a utility somewhere on their drivers disk which could allow you to monitor this. However, as a simple fix, I'd look at getting a few fans into the box and possibly refitting the heat sink on the processor with some termal paste also. They are cheap and may fix the problem.

It might also be an idea to checlk out your video card. If you have an onboard video as well as the video card, try running on that. Or you could consider buying a dirt cheap low end video card to test it with.

Another thing you could check is your power supply. If you have a pc drawing a lot of power due to a hefty graphics card, plenty of drives and USB devices pulling power from the box, it could be that your power supply is not up to it. Try unplugging a few bits and running it to see if it stops.

Presumably you have applied all the updates from MS and scanned it for spyware etc. When scanning for spyware, I always install at least 2 scanners, usually adaware (or whatever its called) and spybot. Test it with both.
                  Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                  X